Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A possible Breeder's Directory?

U

(unregistered

Hi, I just wanted to throw out an idea (which I'm sure many of you have already had). I thought it would be useful to have a breeder's directory that lists the contact info for people who breed specific species on a regular basis. Different than the wanted/for sale forums because it wouldn't be advertising, but rather a reference point for people in search of a specific species. I thought of this when searching for one particular species of newt. I searched all over the web and found a few people who owned them, but didn't breed them or have any available. Even most of the amphibian websites are more geared towards frogs. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I think a breeder's directory would be highly useful to both breeders and hobbyists as a great reference point, as well as to caudata.org by bringing in and keeping registered users. Just a thought!

N

nate

It would be cool to see a UK species registry set up, that's for sure.

S

steve

how about the UK and the USA working together and LEGALLY import/export some "wanted" species?

steve

just an idea!

U

uwe

Just to add,

there are so called stud books in creation in the German Herp Soc., which is quite international for Europe. A combined effort or an open information would be great.
I am not shure how good a inport/export works. The legal way some experienced as a quite elaborative and highly expensive possibility.

Uwe

H

henk

I think it owuld be interesting to set such a list up for Europe as well. Currently all resides with some 'private' people keeping track
of a certain species (I'm there for Typhlonectes natans, Ambystoma macrodactylum & H. dunni)

Such a website lets people pinpoint exactly or at least more precise...I will carry this idea with me for the European group at Gersfeld...if I may

J

john

Hey Aaron,

How about we Europeans "borrow" your code and make a European version? There would be no problem hosting it on Caudata.org. We'd need someone to look after it of course. Any takers? The main task is adding entries to the database.

R

rob

lol...sounds like the Canadian version I'm trying to get going too...mind if I "borrow" too?

A

aaron

I have no problems with sharing the code, but upon careful consideration, I'd like to propose an idea.

With some simple modifications, I could create a Global Registry and then you'd just choose your country and then see what's available there. Upon clicking a country(or union, such as the Euro countries), the banner at the top would change accordingly as well as have options for different languages(English or the country's primary language). Of course, with the different languages, I'd need a few volunteers to translate.

As for maintaining it, I would love to take this upon myself. I have more time off of work now, so I'll have time to update it. Maybe I'll even be able to setup a database
happy.gif

Lemme know what you think of the idea and feel free to contribute any comments or suggestions here on the forum for others to critique.

~Aaron

A

aaron

Also, I've heard interest of adding Gymnophiona to the list. I think it's a good idea, as caecilians are in possibly worse condition world-wide than caudates.

Any opinions on this?

~Aaron

E

edward

Hi Aaron,
Actually with caecilians the situation is really pretty unknown as to thier status in the wild due to thier very secretive natures. Some of hte aquatic species like T. natans and T. compressicaudas actually have stable or currently increasing in the wild but so few animals are legally imported into Europe and the US that are then kept alive to reproduce is more the issue.
Ed

J

john

Aaron - I am all for what you propose, but I think we should wait and see what others say.

R

rob

I'm all for it. I'm willing to help you out as I'm sure it keeps you busy. I had been trying to get ahold of you over the week before this to talk about getting the code...I'm willing to help as much as is needed.

A

aaron

Well, since I don't have the ability to learn 30+ languages and no one has volunteered, I may just incorporate countries that have English as a primary language. I'll start throwing some ideas together and then figure out how to do this.

I've also thought of a way to help cut down on my workload by changing the format of the submitted data-if anyone cares.
happy.gif

Rob, I appreciate the offer for assistance, but when it comes down to it, I'm kinda selfish. Maybe I'll figure out a way to have an admin for each country and you could be in charge of the Canadian part.

Please forgive my ignorance on foreign country's linguistics and tell me if your country is one of the English speaking ones not listed below.

USA, Canada, UK

~Aaron

J

john

Aaron, I think you should consider a European directory rather than a UK or whatever one. There are so many languages in Europe and too few hobbyists in some of the counrties that there's no point in a per country directory. The other aspect is that within the EU (European Union) there are no trade restrictions unless a country has legislation specific to a given species. The one language that most people in Europe speak or have knowledge of is English. Therefore a European Directory seems to make most sense to me.

A

aaron

Sounds good John. I believe that I mentioned something above about the Union, but forgot about it when considering the languages.

~Aaron

S

stephan

Hi Aaron,
is that translation thing still up-to-date or did you completely bin the idea of a global registry?
If it's still wanted, I could do the german translation and surely the spanish one, too. Maybe I'll also find someone for the french translation. So only the italian version would be missing to cover nearly all of western europe and the american continent, as many of the dutch/portugese/scandinavian/etc. people are at least bilingual.

Bye
Stephan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!