View Single Post
Old 6th July 2017   #27
shnabo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Re: Marmoratus Breeding Project

Finally got some eggs! A lot of them were infertile, it is my females' first time laying/ she is only 1 year old so that may have been why. It is also pretty late in the season from what I understand. This is my first time raising larvae from breeding so I am not sure what the standard time of year is yet.

I gave some of the eggs to the guy I had traded my female with/ who gave me some eggs a few months ago. I have about 12-15 larvae from them. It is nice to have found someone local I was able to trade with, it is very difficult finding newt species in Canada aside from firebellies and Spanish ribbed.

I noticed some swimming in the tank after I had given up looking, which was kind of similar to what happened with the carnifex. I noticed the carnifex seem to eat A LOT more than the marms and as such have grown much larger and faster. I am hopeful next year she will produce a full clutch / that more of them will be viable.

I hoping most of them will morph, I started with a group of 3 females, now have 2 female, 1 male and 1 that is too young to tell. Hoping to add some of these to the group for next year if all goes well.

The original ones I had gotten from the person I traded with are starting to morph and fill in their color. It has been exciting to watch them develop their signature orange and green.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3655.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	51081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	51082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Views:	121