Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need help for a wounded Axolotls

S

sarah

I put an algae eater in the tank with my Axolotls. For a while everything was fine; however, last night I discovered small spots where the algae eater had 'sucked' on my Axolotls' tail! The skin is off and I am very worried. Can anyone give me any advice? Other than remove the fish, which I have already done.

A

anne-marie

Sarah, try the axolotl forum, scroll lower down on the page and you will find mad axolotl freaks to help you. (of which I may be one
happy.gif
)

J

jennifer

Can you tell us specifically what kind of algae eater it was? It might help other people to avoid the same bad mix.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It will probably heal by itself. Keep it cold and check on it. If it seems to be getting worse instead of better try a salt bath or Furan 2. Normally I don't medicate for small wounds unless I see blood streaks, fungus, or the axy has a real sticky feel to it's skin. I don't advocate picking up your axy every day to see if it feels sticky or not. Once in a while is fine.
More questions post them in the axy section.

S

sarah

I'm not sure exactly what kind of algae eater it was?! I wish I could help. I will try to find out and let everyone know, so you can avoid the mix.
Thanks for all your help and I will repost my message on the axolotl forum.

S

sarah

Thanks, those websites helped a bunch! The algae eater was this type: Hypostomus plecostomus
Common Pleco, Suckermouth Catfish....Don't put these in with you axolotls!

J

joseph

Great to hear the websites helped
happy.gif

Also,(in case you didn't notice it on the site) these guys can get very large and are unsuitable for most tanks they are sold for.

As for the axolotl, I agree with Michael. Give the axxie peace and quiet and keep all the conditions good and it should heal up nicely. Do keep an eye out for any changes on the wound though.

S

sarah

I see that now, the pet store told me it would be fine! Little did they know... My axolotl has been kept (very poorly
sad.gif
) for 2 years in water that is about 70 degrees. If I decide to put him in the fridge should I let the water slowly adjust first by using frozen water bottles? And after all this has calmed down, I should keep his water at around 65 degrees right, not put it back up to 70?

W

wyatt

i have a pleco 14 inches right now. they are good for some animals, but due to an axie's smooth skin, the pleco's spines could hurt it.

S

sarah

I didn't think about their spines (and luckily that never happened), but I am facing the 'hickeys' he left on my axolotl's tail! I would never put a pleco in Sammy's tank again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1