Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving On...

J

jeff

In the last 3 years, I have spent a great deal of time here helping, learning, and exchanging ideas that hopefully have benifited not only my caudates, but possibly hundreds of others and those who care for them. I have seen just about everything, and my last breeding run have left me with a strong sense that amphibians are not doomed, and in fact, if we can take some advice from england, we may be in much better shape then I once previously thought. I had one newt who had all arms, legs, and tail eaten, and is now doing great. My last wildlife project over in the outskirts of redmond has proven that we as humans can make habatats that work, and in this case by accident, that one man made pond less then 7 years old, yeilded thousands of salamander larvae that I have thankfully been able to report that all samples have proven healthy and strong.

My collection has become small, the t.marms, p.waltl and wildtype axolotls are what remains. I am happy with them all and hope to have babies sometime this fall.

I have taken a job working with fish(I know, what a drag huh?) and mainly marine systems. Its a whole new ballgame, but I see that with a little salt and lighting, things I have only dreamed of are now residing in my room, some yet un-identified, but all grown out from sizes so small, I have yet to count it all. yes, I have been developing 2 reef systems and now there is no going back. My newest addition, a little banded eel, has been amazing me with abilities I thought only salmon possesed(jumping in and out of a overflow grate half full). I have crabs, sponges, hard and soft corals, bubble algeas, shimp, clams, and about 10 other unknowns that I can only find with a flashlight.

I have 8.2 gallon japanese tank that have a gravel bed and floss filter in the hood, that has become a maintence free newt tank with plants wood and the like, that has truly caught the attention of freshwater hobbiests all over, it is my hope to develop this system, and my newly developed induction heated outdoor winter salamander setup into products that will benefit us all, and will consider giving out the diagrams for both for free in hopes we can all use these methods for are own good.

Needless to say, I will be in touch, but rest assured I have seen that many new members have doen thier homework and I have no fear that all will be well and better as the months pass. I am sorry if I sounded cross John, about my picture in the calender, I just had no idea the res was so low. I have better and more amazing shots for next year, so don't count me out.

I want to thank Jen, Mark, Tim, Joe S, Micheal Shrom, Pin-Pin(all the newts survived and are thriving, dispite my medical work
happy.gif
Paris(yes yes money is on the way)and the rest for all your work and time in developing a truly amazing resource, one that has proved invaluable to not only me, but hundreds if not thousands of others.

Keep up the good work, and always remember you get what you put in, and knowledge is truly power.

Jeff

Jeffnewt@mail.com

C

coen

Nice to see you broadening your horizon Jeff, good luck with your new hobby.

J

jeff

On second thought, I have realized most of my new clients are not going to stick with captive bred fish, so I don't think I will do this longer then neccessary. We had an entire tank of fish die at one guys house and no own knows why. This doesn't happen with newts, so this is not going to work with me, as is the constant bleaching of dead coral so it looks "pretty". Sigh. I wish there were jobs out there for people like me, I doubt even going back and finishing school would really help either. Mabye environmental resources or Dept. of Natural Resources would be worth looking into... If working for the government(our government) was a good idea. Not that we haven't disscussed this before, but I just want to reverberate the frustration of not being able to find hands on work with animals that means something and is for good. The last guy in my company quit to go work for homeland security to do radioactive expirimentation on primates, how he sleeps at night, I have no idea. Perhaps the answer is just finding a high paying job and just putting in my normal 10 hours of amphibian work a week and weekends is enough.

J

john

Jeff, you express a rather universal frustration for idealistic individuals regardless of the desired and chosen field. In my still rather short number of years in the professional work force, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of the daily tasks or the end goal of the work, as soon as you accept pay the labor becomes tainted. Thus, I believe that the only way to truly do what you love is to it on your own and expect no compensation other than the sheer satisfaction of the labor itself. So, yes, land a high paying job with little to no overtime required and spend your freetime doing the things that really matter.

J

john

Off topic. John, not to be a wet blanket but there's a policy against linking in signatures to commercial websites. I don't really have a problem with yours but because of abuses in the past by others we've had to make it a universal ban on such links. I do hope you understand.

Best wishes,

-John

J

john

John

Understand, I was not aware. I have removed it. My apologies.

Cheers

J

jeff

Just an update, I quit today, anyone know of anybody looking to hire in seattle?

J

jeff

Thats actaully not funny, or accurate, and way off topic. Im serious and trying to not get this post deleted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!