Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

? WHAT DROPS HELP HEAL FROG SKIN INJURY ?

• Thread starter help_a_frog____________________
  • Start date
H

help_a_frog____________________

Someone found an injured frog ~

There is skin missing from it's hand.

What can be safely put into the water

to help the skin heal and to prevent infection ?

Please help

and give links to good information if you have any.

}} Thanks !

(Message approved by admin)

S

sharon

Someone once told me to use neosporin on an injured frog. I think they were nuts. The sores were weeping and the serous fluid kept the neosporin from sticking.

At any rate, I moved the frog to a sterile 5 gl tank w/white paper towels on the floor, a sterile dish of water, 1 plastic plant and a paper towel tube. I misted her daily and kept a close eye on her nose (the injured member) and it has healed up just fine.

Unless the "hand" gets infected I don't see a problem.

Sharon

And if anyone else has a better idea, I am looking forward to hearing it!! I've been looking for an answer to this one myself.

C

clarence

I think that is the most natural and lowest impact solution, although I head someone once suggest brewing a cup of black tea, and applying 1 drop of the tea (at room temperature, of course) to the wound, as the tannins would has a antiseptic effect, but wouldn't harm the surrounding healthy skin. I've never tried the tea thing, so, just take that bit as hearsay.

E

edward

If you can get a perscription, opthamalmic gentamycin solution is very effective in helping this sort of wound heal. (Its what we use at work). I have not heard of the usage of normal tea but there is some buzz about the use of chamomile tea (cold) as helping with skin problems in anurans (anecdotal, I have no serious knowledge on this being effective).

Ed

S

sharon

OH hey! I forgot!! I also rinsed a frog who had a badly battered nose w/my contact saline solution. I figured it had all those antibacterial/fungal properties and was safe enough for me to pour in my danged eyes, it was probably safe enough to use on a frog. It worked. I did this for two different Whites' Tree frogs, neither of them died from this, whether it helped or they healed on their own... anyones' guess!

Sharon

TJ

Reaction score
Sharon, I find that interesting and will bring that up with my herp vet to see what he says. Also the tea thing. Did you use plain ol' saline solution or multi-purpose solution?

Though I don't have any use for it now, I'll see if I can't get some opthamalmic gentamycin solution from my vet to add to my salamander medicine chest
biggrin.gif

It would be nice to have at Caudate Culture a list of medicines that one could/should have on hand for use with sals, along with descriptions and dosages. This would obviously mean more work for Ed though
lol.gif

S

sharon

A medicinal list of home remedies would be awesome!! LOL!

And a list of common or typical vet required treatments would be nice too!

As for the contact solution, it was a multipurpose, no rinse, no rub formula.

Sharon

J

joanne

I don't know whether it is too late or not, but I am a vet student, and I think I can help. The BSAVA Manual of Exotic Animals says that the frog should be put in a bath of dilute saline until it recovers. The contact lens solution is fine, 0.9% sodium chloride. This is to prevent any bacterial infection on the broken skin. Using an antibiotic is not necessary unless the wound is infected, which will show up as reddened, swollen, and sometimes with pus. I hope this helps...I just read this post today.

E

edward

Hi Joanne,
While not a vet student or a vet, open lesions on amphibians often do not always present as reddened, swollen or with pus despite being infected with various pathogens. Often there is a slight red border (but not always) and the lesion will not resolve and can expand. At work the vets prescribe treatments for the wounds.
We do use isotonic amphibians ringers solutions as a supportive measure.

Ed

J

joanne

Sorry, I was applying what I see on other animals. I've only seen a toad before with an infected wound, and that was nasty. I've not much experience in amphibians as they are not popular pets here. But what I still do believe is that antibiotics should not be used unless necessary as not to build up resistance of the bacteria against it. Already, in a lot of cases, antibiotics are being prescribed unnecessarily, IMHO.
Anyway, I shall endeavour to scour my library for more amphibian textbooks.

E

edward

Hi JoAnne,
You might be interested in Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry, 2001, Krieger Press.

Ed

justin

Reaction score
try tamodine i heal a newt from an attack by a cat.the wound which was pretty big healed by using this it worked great you can buy it from most reptile shops justin

J

joanne

Ed,
Argh.....that depends upon the availability of the book in my uni library. It's not very well stocked in terms of exotic animal species; as I've mentioned before, they are not popular pets here.

The pet shops here are finally bringing in newts, treefrogs, and African Clawed Frogs. But I see that they have remained unsold for quite some time. In a way I'm rather glad that at least they are not an impulse buy. But then again, pet store conditions are not fantastic either. Plus the prices are sky high.

It's also difficult to source for food. No waxworms, whiteworms, blackworms, etc. So, my CFBN are being fed solely on frozen bloodworms, and my water dragons on crickets and king mealworms. No credit card...no online shopping
sad.gif

Hopefully things will get better soon. Thanks for the recommending the book. Will try to find it.

S

sharon

Hey there Joanne. If you or a friend has a checking account there are a number of sites that offer payment via paypal, which can be registered with a checking acct. I don't mean to promote this site, and I personally don't order from them, but its the only one I know of LINK: http://www.herpfood.com/

It doesn't say so on their opening page but as you go through checkout Paypal is offered as a payment option.

Paypal, my financial downfall!!!

I only offer this up because of my concern for the limited diet of your animals. I hope it helps you!

Sharon

J

joanne

Paypal is not offered in Malaysia. Anyway I think that I would have to pay too much for shipping and then the food will probably die off in this climate. Thanks for the suggestion
happy.gif

S

sharon

LMBO! I'm so sorry! For some reason I thought you were US or UK.

But you are very welcome for my Non-help!
rofl.gif

Sharon

E

edward

Hi JoAnne,
Bloodworms make a fine food for newts and other salamanders (if you can get them to eat them)(I've fed them out as a sole diet for a few years before I could get work to bring in blackworms). If you are so inclined you can also harvest mosquito larva and use them as a food source. I would just be careful with the amounts to prevent the larva from sucessfully pupating.
Just a couple of thoughts for you.
Ed

J

joanne

Ed...

Mosquitoes are in huge supplies here! I wonder if I can feed the little buggers (freshly whacked) to the newts?
Anyway it's illegal to have mosquito larvae anywhere! If you're caught "breeding" - intentionally or not - , or throwing out things like cans that collect water and thus enable egg laying, then you can be fined. This is because of the high amount of dengue cases here. The only logical place to find them is from monsoon drains, which are sometimes up to 6 feet deep.

Sharon...
Eh...yes I've found out that Paypal IS offered in Malaysia. Did some surfing last night. Sorry for the wrong info. But I still think that shipping will be expensive and the heat will kill off any food by the time it reaches here.

S

sharon

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Joanne Soo (Joann3) wrote on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:53 :</font>

"Sharon...
Eh...yes I've found out that Paypal IS offered in Malaysia. Did some surfing last night. Sorry for the wrong info. But I still think that shipping will be expensive and the heat will kill off any food by the time it reaches here."
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

LOL! Well, I still had no idea it was so widely offered! And I'm sure you are right. Its pretty hot here right now too. I'm fighting the urge to order any more frogs or salamanders because I know the morning they spend on a postal truck arriving at my local post office is enough to kill them, but its hard! One of my fav reptile net shops has fire salamanders, something I've never owned but would love to. Oh well, Hubby never knows what to buy me for Christmas anyway!

As for the expensive part of it, yeah, especially in the heat, heat requires overnight shipping for live guarantee.

I've given up on that too. Half of my crickets are arriving dead lately. I've decided to try and breed the buggers myself. They seem to do well enough around my house, living in a nice box fed and watered by someone, they ought to do much better! ROTFL!!! And fruit flies, my kids are unintentional experts at that. I just found a banana yesterday that would have probably scared most scientists.....

Good luck with the food hunt! I need to call my local petshop and nag them about live aquatic worms too.....

Sharon

C

clarence

What about ordering from Australian, New Zealand, or Japanese sources?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1