Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Importing CB newts from within the EU to the UK

J

jesper

Since I expect to move to the UK soon I have begun to think about how to get my quite modest newt collection into the country.

I'd prefer to just go through customs and declare them to be on the safe side. Do someone know what kind of papers/permits I have to get to be able to do this?

M

mark

Hi Jesper,

The people to contact are "Her Majesty's (that's the our queen)Revenue and Customs" http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/
They can tell you what papers you need to bring your newts into the country and any fees that are applicable. It's best to get the correct documentation or they may be confiscated at the airport/port etc.

J

jesper

I have sent them an enquiry, let's see what they have to say.

Thanks!

caleb

Reaction score
If you don't have any CITES species (axolotls are the only commonly kept urodele on CITES, see http://www.ukcites.gov.uk ), you shouldn't need any papers at all for importing amphibians into the UK from anywhere in the EU.

The only exceptions are WC crested newts and natterjacks, as these are protected as native UK species.

If you want to double check, I'd advise contacting DEFRA, have a look at this:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/gen-inf/contacts.htm

If you're coming by air, you'll need to check with your airline about how to transport them- they can be very strict about this.

(Message edited by caleb on July 22, 2005)

J

jesper

Thanks Caleb!
I sent an email to hrmc but they referred me to DEFRA, but those guys haven't answered yet.

Hmm, about the airline...How would they know what I keep in my handbag
happy.gif

J

joan

Xrays, Jesper. If you sent your bag through the machine, and they saw a bunch of little skeletons, I imagine it would raise concern.

J

jesper

I don't think the wavelengths they use pick up bones very well. Their devices are probably designed to pick up metal and the clerks are looking for metal not bones. Btw I thought they customs handled that kind of thing, not the airline... am I wrong?

M

mark

Hand luggage is xrayed by airport security before boarding but not on landing (in my experience). It all depends on how alert the staff looking at he images are. If spotted, I doubt they would let them on board, a clerk looking for bombs/weapons is unlikely to the difference between a CITES protect newt and one that isn't, or any airport staff for that matter. Customs in Britain do random checks on arrival. My advice would be to declare them.

J

jesper

Yes of course I will declare them. It's the airline I am curious about. As Caleb said the british customs won't mind the newts(if I declare them) but the airline policy might.

M

mark

How will custom know what they are without paperwork? I don't think airlines care as long as they are packaged well and no risk to other passengers.

B

benjamin

Keep the animals in larger containers in your carry-on, then transfer them into smaller individual containers (eg. large medicine containers) just before you reach customs, wear baggy pants with many pockets, place the smaller containers in the pockets and go through the metal detector, it wont pick up newts or harm them. Afterwards transfer the animals back into the larger containers (a good place is a bathroom). When you get off the flight they won't x-ray your stuff so you won't have to make the transferal again. If you are just carrying small larvae or eggs then all you have to do is keep them in the smaller pocket sized containers.

Also, there is the risk of random extra screening, American airways does this but I'm not sure about any other airlines.

<font color="ff0000">Note: This is the suggestion of the individual poster, and is not sanctioned nor approved by caudata.org.</font>

(Message edited by apples on July 29, 2005)

J

joan

Ben, That's 100% illegal. It's called smuggling, whether the newts are protected or not. I'm sure Jesper has nothing to hide.

Jesper, is there any way you could have them shipped to you after your arrival? I'm pretty sure the policy for most airlines is no live animals (except people...) in the cabin of the plane. My guess is that you'd have to stow them (as in with your checked baggage). I suppose you should call the airline you're using and ask them.

mike

Reaction score
Jesper....The only legal method of importing your newts into the UK is as airfreight in the cargo hold of the aircraft. No airline flying into the UK allows animals into the passenger cabin. You would have to send them to either LHR or LGW, as these two airports accept animal cargo, and have Customs clearance and Animal Quarantine Station facilities. You would have to comply with IATA regulations regarding the correct packaging for the newts, and have the relevant paperwork done by either an Agent or by the personnel of the Airline.
You would be charged a fee for completing the Airwaybill, airline handling charges, airline/agents fees, (both ends) customs clearance and entry fees, and also A.Q.S. fees if the shipment was not cleared within four hours of arrival. Currently, I think £100!
You can reduce some fees by personally delivering the shipment to the airline, and having them complete the relevant paperwork, also instructing them to clear the shipment through customs for you at destination. You would be able to collect from the Airline's freight shed. I would recommend that you import within normal office hours, as there is a reduced service overnight. Good luck.

bowl.gif
bowl.gif

P

pin-pin

Hey Ben,

Just did a little modification to your post, since as Joan mentioned, it is illegal and if caught, could lead to heavy fines.
happy.gif

It is a bit of a problem moving between countries with amphibians. There's not much problem with a dog or a cat, but as soon as you get to "exotics," the difficulty increases exponentially.

Perhaps someone here could move up the political ladder and help us with these issues.
wink.gif

M

melinda

Lol, I am flying home to New England in a couple of weeks and I've been tearing my hair out trying to think of a way to bring back the newts I haven't been able to find in California. It's at least 153 dollars to "Delta Dash" it, and I doubt they'd survive mailing as hot as it gets here, and it's the only choice the airline offers. I'd love to know why a small dog can travel as a carry-on, yet a newt in a hand sized plastic container is somehow a mortal sin. I'm looking for suggestions as well...

J

john

Benjamin Tajer: If your intention is to bring this community into disrepute, congratulations, that's a great way to go about it.

Regarding the talk of X-rays: Most newts have highly cartilagenous skeletons, with very little true bone, and are therefore highly unlikely to show up on an airport security X-ray. However, if your method of importing newts, legal or illegal, involves X-rays, you must ask yourself if you are comfortable with exposing your animals to a dangerous form of radiation (not to be confused with nuclear radiation).

Regarding intra European Union transit of newts and salamanders, provided the species doesn't have extra protection, a simple veterinary certificate of health should be all that's required from the exporting country, and the importing country's relevant department should be notified so that they can inspect the animals if they so wish.

Regarding what Mike East said, to the best of my knowledge this only applies to exports and imports outside the EU. As long as your airline (many don't) will allow you to carry small animals in the cargo hold, you should be ok.

B

benjamin

I fully apologise for my previous post, as I now realize that it was irresponsible and may give the wrong people ideas about animal smuggling. I give any body with the ability permission to delete it, and this post in addition if they feel it necessary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!