View Single Post
Old 29th January 2011   #9
Thomas
(ozarkhellbender)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Where are all the plethodontid keepers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
Biggest reason? Familiarity breeds contempt. Everyone in this thread so far is North American, and exotic foreign species are inherintly more interesting to the average person. Many are also protected in at least part of their range. In combination, that means that very few enter the pet trade, so they don't get much chance to develop a following. Those of us keen enough to seek them out have to snap up the few species which do enter the trade, or go out and catch them ourselves. Given the small ranges [and the fact I'm in the plethodontid gap], catching them ourselves is often inconvenient at best.

I've worked with over a dozen plethodontids over the years, but currently have only P.chattahoochee and P.idahoensis.
I don't know if I'd say that familiarity is the biggest reason as Tiger salamanders and other North American ambystomids are much more common in the pet trade, the wild, and this forum. Just look at the Axolotl. Same thing with Notophthalmus species, very common North American species that are often kept by caudate enthusiasts. I think you had it in the second part about catching them being an inconvenience, dealers don't want to take the time and effort to find them.

Also, congratulations on the Plethodon chattahoochee and Plethodon idahoensis!!
ozarkhellbender is offline   Reply With Quote