View Single Post
Old 4th May 2013   #29
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Marmoratus morphs: terrestrial or aquatic?

I've always been interested in the differences between raising them aquatic or terrestrial. I've bred N.v.louisianensis, T.marmoratus and H.orientalis in an aquatic setup, with only a large piece of stone sticking out of the (full with Java moss) water offering all the food in the water, in a paper towel setup and in a coco peat setup.

With a little effort I could pincer feed all three species, even Notophthalmus. With this last species the aquatic animals grew a lot faster in the beginning. Now they're adult all animals are of the same size the smallest specimen being raised aquatic and the biggest being raised terrestrial. Having less animals on land than in the water it still took a lot of time feeding the terrestrial juveniles, but I could do it while watching the telly.

With T.marmoratus I hardly saw any difference in size. The animals on land were given small waxies sometimes though. Same goes for H.orientalis, except the wax worms of course. I offered them blood worms on paper towel. Really enjoyed raising them both ways.

For T.marmoratus and N.v.louisianensis I prefer raising them on land with paper towels. Some fellow keepers are a little upset when they see my containers which only contain paper towels and plant pots splitten in two as hiding places. I admit that it looks very unnatural, but most of my juveniles are ferocious eaters and run out of their hiding places towards the pincers when it's feeding time.
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote