Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia Invader?

R

rob

I've noticed a small white creature in my daphnia culture. They seem to cling to the side, and move in the same jerky motion as daphnia, only much faster. They appear to have three segments, two of which are attached to on, so that it looks almost like a v shaped. Are these just small daphnia attached to their egg or are they another type of creature?

Thanks,
Rob

R

ralf

Hi Rob,
sounds like maybe a Cyclops species. Also a group of small crustaceans on which you will probably find more pictures and information on the internet since it is often used as food especially for fish fry (live and frozen). Cyclops are often still available as live food during seasons when Daphnia can't be caught any longer (even during winter and underneath the ice). Some species are predators though and may eventually prey on what you've been trying to feed.
Hope that helps.
Ralf

R

rob

Hey Ralf,

Thank you for the info. I think you may be right. I don't have a microscope, but the shape would look similar to this: http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/courses/envr429-rm/Robin/images/envr429/92_cyclops_eggs_40x.jpg

So it could be cyclops carrying eggs (which makes the three balls in a sorta v shape).

Cyclops and daphnia together shouldn't be a problem, right? And right now I use them for newt larva...which are much bigger then the cyclops...so I don't think the cyclops will be able to do any harm.

Thanks for the response,
Rob

J

john

Yeah, Cyclops are pretty common in Daphnia cultures. The predatory species are usually quite big (up to the size of a medium Daphnia magna), so if you have tiny ones with egg sacs then you are probably safe. The problem with predatory Cyclops in Daphnia cultures is that they will eat hatchling Daphnia.

R

rob

Yeah, they're about half size of the full grown Daphnia I have (Unsure of the subspecies I have, but they look to be about 3-4mm across). I may try seperating a few of the daphnia into it's own culture and keep the cyclops going as food as well...since they're good food for fry as well, Right?

Thanks again,
Rob

J

john

I don't think you'll be able to separate them, but good luck. The Cyclops you have are probably non-predatory ones. They're good food yes - they're another kind of crustacean, like Daphnia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!