Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update pics on caudopunctatus

P

paris

here are the newest pics of my little guys, taken with a better cam than my usual one i have some bigger sized ones thrown in cause they are pretty good quality. first is a pic of them both
39820.jpg

the bigger one is growing much more than the other-i have not seen aggression between them but im thinking it will be best to separate them so the other one can put on more weight. the spend most of the time hiding in their java moss-i have to chase them out to get pics
39821.jpg

39822.jpg

39823.jpg

the bigger guy is starting to pattern out-here is its belly
39824.jpg

here is a shot from the side showing a pattern emerging
39825.jpg

C

chris

Nice pics - the larger one will morph fairly soon; once the belly patter appears they accelerate towards morphing.
They seem to grow a lot slower than fuzhongensis (though of course that could be environmentally influenced) - female fuz laid in March, and the last larvae are leaving the water now (one to go).
The smaller larva does look a lot slimmer than the big guy, so it might be worth separating them... they don't like being moved though (fuzhongensis at least) - I took a few over to Richard Kingham's place and half died from the stress of transport about 12 hrs after arriving(whereas the cynops larvae I returned home with were all fine).
Have you tried them on frozen bloodworm? - my fuzhongs loved them and it really boosted their growth.
Chris

P

paris

they are too picky to eat much of them, so i offer them live blackworms, but they are very fond of the osteocods-they just inhale them as they swim by.

E

ester

Looks like the little one gets to keep its lipstick
happy.gif
Very pretty pictures.

N

nate

Paris, I changed the title of your thread from "c punctatus" to caudopunctatus. Please try to use full scientific names instead of shorthand of abbreviations like that, it's a bit confusing.

Nice job on the larvae, btw
wink.gif

B

benjamin

Perhaps you could put some kind of obstruction in their container which split it in two so that you would avoid having to move one.

P

paris

actually this is one of those split beta tanks, but the little one is so small that he just slips under the barrier.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!