Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pip dead Axy sick

M

matt1122

I came home one afternoon and found Pip dead and my poor Axy lop-side. what should I do?

C

coffo

im new but from what ive learnt ide say but the live one in the fridge check the water ph and nitrates lvl and check them for parisites and disease

kapo

Reaction score
hi Matt

whereabouts r u? If in Oz, could be heat related or water quality? What is temp of your tank and water parameters - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph levels. Sorry to hear about Pip. How is Axy? I know how distressing it is when you lose a pet and another gets sick.

* If you haven't already done so, as Coffo says you can put him in the fridge (as long as your fridge temp is not lower than 5degrees celcius = if unsure check by placing a thermometer in a glass of water in the fridge and check after 5/10mins)
* Then if ok, place Axy in a foodsafe container with fresh dechlorinated water.
* AS he is lopsided; just put enuf water in to cover his top fin but allow his feet to rest on bottom of container.
* Keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge beside the container as you will be doing FULL daily water changes.
* Offer food at water changes but he may not take food as his metabolism slows down in the fridge (at cooler temps).
* Wrap the container with a towel to stop the temperature spikes (when the fridge door opens/closes and also cut down the glare from the fridge light)

Keep us posted and if any questions please feel free to ask, I may not be able to help on a lot of things, just what I have picked up from being on here, but there will always be someone who can help or point you in the direction :D.

* Also, if you don't have a water testing kit, get a sample of your tank water tested at your local petshop/aquarium.

C

coffo

pretty much what i said but more detailed
so i must of got it right
happy.gif

(Message edited by coffo on March 11, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!