Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR USERS

A

admin

<font color="ff0000"><font color="0000ff">Note from the Admin:</font> Please be aware that you must provide truthful answers to the mandatory registration fields (including your Nationality). This is for the protection of all users of the board. Your details will not be provided to any third party and are solely kept for the purpose of your proper use of the forums. With the exception of your nationality and username, you can hide any of your details by editing your profile after your registration.</font>

(Message edited by john on May 24, 2003)

S

swan

Would you please explain why the nationality is mandatory? How does it make me use the forum properly?

Just curious.

J

john

It's mandatory to give everyone on the forum some frame of reference when dealing with others.

I don't approve of the practice of existing solely as a username. If someone wishes to do that then that individual shouldn't register for an account in the first place and simply post as unregistered.

You don't have to fill most of the fields in. You can hide most of your details. Frankly, apart from your "Full name" I prefer that people leave details blank rather than make up false answers. The only information you need let anyone publicly know is your username and Nationality. The rest is between you and the forum software and a moderator should something arise concerning your account.

S

sara

Hi John,
I think this is simply a misunderstanding. When asking for nationality I assume you are simply asking people to be truthful about where they are a citizen of and what part of the world they call home.
That makes perfect sense to me and I agree with you. I think the issue is that in some parts of the world, the term "Nationality" is used synonymously with questions about ethnic background and cultural affiliations. In some countries this can be a rather hot topic and a personal question. I suspect that many who have not answered the nationality question or responded with unusual answers are interpreting it this way. I don't think anyone is trying to be deliberately misleading.
Sara

D

david

Apparently I misunderstood too. I put down Mutt (Irish, English and German) because you had country on form also (where I put down United States).

J

jennifer

I agree with Sara. When the form asks for both country and nationality, it does imply an "ethnicity" question. I would say that country should be mandatory, and nationality optional.

G

greg

I too thought that "nationality" was odd since "country" is also on the form. or do you want to know the country of citizenship? For some folks, this may differ from where they actually live.

Greg
U.S. Citizen. Mixed-breed.

cloth

Reaction score
Thats true,as I was born in Australia,nationality=Australian but now live in the UK!!

J

john

Ok I've added some qualifying information to the profile fields concerned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!