Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Formalin-is it safe?

H

heather

Its a suggested treatment for Ich
some kind of protozoan killing stuff
formaldehyde solution...

What do you guys think?

J

joan

No. Even if it's used to treat a disease doesn't mean it's safe to use on an axolotl. Consult Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry by Wright and Whitaker, if your local library has it.

J

joão

if what you have is protozoan , you can use Flagyl, I used it and had no problem with it, after using it my axies became more healthy than ever, you just have to know the right dosage.

E

edward

Formalin is listed in Amphibian Medicine and Captive husbandry as a treatment option for several parasites.
I would suggest consulting with a vet before attempting to treat for anything.

Ed

H

heather

Joan- the libraries here are cruddy,
Edward- i can guarantee that there arent any vets that know how to treat an axolotl on the Island... axies are not very common. i probably know better about axols than them!! (seriously)

Joao- maybe I will try the Flagyl,
the person at the pet store said that external parasites cant handle changes in salinity too well, she recommended a salt bath since nothing in thier store was safe for axolotls;

if you sit and talk with pet store people theyre really not as stupid as I thought they were, even if they have no idea how to take care of an axie... dumb butts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!