Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salt bath

C

cynthia

Mix 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 liters of water.

Stir it until it is completely dissolved. Soak the axolotl in it for 10 min.

Time the salt bath so you do not leave them in too long. Salt can damage the gills and skin.

Give salt baths twice a day.

If you haven't been there already there is lots of info at http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

S

shane

hey just a few questions about salt baths. ive just noticed a tiny bit of fungi on the side of one of my axoltols and i havent done a salt bath before. so is it just 2 teaspoons of salt in 2 litres of water? ive read a few things about salt baths but they are usually so many more things to put in. also is sea water alright? the sea water is very clean, would it be too strong? and do i use aquarium salt? or just normal table iodized salt?

H

hayley-jane

I use aquarium salt - not sure about regular salt.

C

cynthia

Shane - The link that was previously posted says:

One treatment recommended by Heather Eisthen on the Urodeles newsgroup is to dip the effected animal in sea water for 10 minutes a day for three days in a row).

and...
Holtfreter's solution in higher than normal concentrations is also effective against Columnaris, as is the use of a salt bath. Place the animal in a salt bath for about 10 minutes once or twice a day. A salt bath is prepared using 2-3 teaspoons of salt (table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt) per litre/two pints. Don't leave the Axolotl in the salt bath for more than 15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the Axolotl's skin and particularly its gills. Of course, this is all useless if the animal is still under stress when put back in its aquarium (strong-flowing water, high water temperature, bad water quality, etc....).
http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm

As others have said you can also use aquarium salt. It takes a while to dissolve.

S

shane

hey. thanks heaps. ive never had to do a salt bath before, and i dont want to hurt my axolotl by doing it. but it works so its worth a try. thanks again. oh just one other question. should i use fresh water with water conditioner in it.or should i use the thank water so it wont get stressed by the change in temp?

C

cynthia

Shane - I would use the tank water.

What is the temperature in your tank? If you are having a hard time keeping it cool add a fan or some frozen water bottles.

K

kungfoi

please help!
as you can see in the picture i don't know what to do i think the other axy rip her tail.
Should i need to do a salt bath?
40751.jpg

R

ros

shocked.gif
wound looks more likely due to being scraped on a sharp rock or something like that?
100% Holtfreter's solution can be used to reduce the chance of infection, or one can use a teaspoon of salt in 2 litres of water as a substitute. Strangely, wound healing seems to occur more rapidly at lower than normal temperatures. Lower temperatures (5-15 °C) seem to be a general panacea for axolotls.
Mercurochrome is an antiseptic/disinfectant available at pharmacies and can be quite effective when treating bacterial and fungal problems. The Indiana University Axolotl Colony recommends adding just a few drops to tint the water orange, and change the water frequently. 2-4 ppm (parts per million, i.e. 2 to 4 grams per 1000 litres of water) is the dosage recommended by Peter W. Scott.
Vet may be able to stitch the skin closed & give antibiotic.
In all cases of disease or stress, isolation of the effected animal is strongly recommended and a few weeks in cool water is often helpful to speed recovery during and after treatment.
He/she seems to have a deep bow-back. I hope it's ok. Good luck kungfoi.
Regards, Ros.

K

kungfoi

thank Ros. What does deep bow-back mean and this wound is very serious or not?
I can't find any vet for axy in thailand the only way which i can help my axy is this web so i need to do a salt bath and can i use iodine salt?

C

cynthia

Kungfoi - I think she(now corrected from he, sorry Ros!) is referring to the way your axolotl appears to be bent to the side in the picture.

http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm
says you can use:

"(table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt) "

(Message edited by cynorita on August 07, 2005)

R

ros

You'll have to focus on preventing infection 1st...
Table salt, cooking salt, or iodized salt, is ok to use, but not "low" or "low-sodium" salt. Please don't leave the Axolotl in the salty water any more than 15 minutes each time, otherwise the salt will start to damage the Axolotl's skin and particularly its gills.
Do you have Mercurochrome? If you have mix it as stated above...put her in it & put in the fridge.
Repeat salt treatment 2x a day & Mercurochrome treatment 3x.
It's important to keep her as cool as possible & stress free.
Is she eating ok?
Deep bow - back, means her back looks like it is bent deep. Maybe because of injury? Is that another wound to the left of the open 1?
I've nursed more serious injuries before, & they have recovered.
Keep us posted, & let us know how things are going, ok.
Regards, Ros.

R

ros

Please take a closer picture of the wounds Kungfoi. I want to see how deep they are in the centre.

R

ros

Hi Cynthia,
He?
lol.gif
Last I looked I was a female.
What do you think re injury?

C

cynthia

Ros! So sorry, that was a typo. I have read your profile and know are a woman.
blush.gif

(Message edited by cynorita on August 07, 2005)

R

ros

Kungfoi, please notice I wrote salt solution not salt bath. Mix 1 teaspoon salt - 2 litres of water.

R

ros

You don't need to be sorry about that Cynthia...
happy.gif
no harm done.

K

kungfoi

Thank you so much Ros and Cynthia.
I haven't done a salt bath yet i think i will do it tomorrow but as you can see i think the wound is redder.Do you think her skin[the wound that hang on] will peel off what should i do?
40914.jpg
40915.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!