Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My New Eggs Have Started Hatching

J

jolly

<font color="119911">On the 23rd of this month, approx. a week ago I picked up 12 eggs from my local aquarium shop. After some hefty talking I was given the chance to become a foster mummy again. The first baby to arrive, arrived ... well... yesterday actually, the 22nd. And a little brother or sister also popped out not long after. Not sure if they are wild type or olive (brown?). There were 2 females in the tank, a wild type and an olive, and an albino male. They may be olive as they are not too dark. I think some have dark spots. I wish I could take pictures but I don't have a camera, of any kind!
They are sooo cute though! I'm picking up some micro worms tomorrow.
This is my second time round of hatching and raising baby Axie's. I'll see if I can borrow a camera from someone.
The first one that hatched has a black stripe on it's head. Has anyone had a baby axie like that? It would be cool to know what colour they'll be.</font>

L

lisa

wow that sounds cool, an axie with a black stripe on its head! and they are sooo cute when they just hatch aren't they? I think that you'll have to wait a while to know what colour they will turn maybe in a couple of weeks they will show their true colours (hehe) good luck raising them!
L

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Thanks!
There's now only 3 Axies left to hatch! I have 6 that are a pale brown colour with a stripe on their little heads and 6 that are almost transparent with black spots and eyes. They are soooooo adorable!</font>

J

jolly

<font color="119911">All have hatched. I have twelve little axies! All cute!</font>

C

cori

How exciting! first post on the forum.... i have 3 axies myself, my first batch of eggs never hatched.. so V exciting for you, which petshop did you get eggs from? i have never heard of this and always wanted to raise "baby" axies.. Cheers

J

jolly

<font color="119911">It was by chance that I got them. The same as the first batch I got.
All you need to do is keep a look out in all the pet shops for axies, then check to see if any have laid eggs in the tank. That's how I found mine. Well actually I didn't go looking for eggs, they were just there at the right time. Always have a good look.</font>

C

cori

Good one Jolly!
Will be keeping a close eye on the axies tanks... I'll be the wierdo in the pet shop with my face against the glass! he he he

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Hey Cori, you're in melbourne... Would you like an axolotl?</font>

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Since I have just 12 new babies, I devised a way to make sure each one eats lots of food without having to clean the water they're in every time afterwards.
I call it "The Baby Axie Quick and Easy Food Delivery!"
Well, actually it's an ice-tray with 12 sockets I picked up from the Reject Shop. All I need to do now is suck up one baby at a time with my new "Easy Axie Sucky Thing (until I get a turkey baster that is)" and put each axie in a socket with freshly made axie water. After filtering out the brine shrimp, I suck some up with a syringe and put the right amount in each socket with each axie.... hope that makes sense? Anyway, each end up with fat belly's! Then I put them back into there headquarters.</font>

C

cori

Hey Jolly,
Would love a new axie! I am located in the eastern suburbs, your baby axie quick and easy food delivery system sounds great! good to see peoples using a lil creativity!

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Thanks Cori.
I need to give some of my axies away, although I would rather not (I love them too much), but I'm running out of room. When these little bubs grow up, I just won't have enough room to keep them all. I live in Bendigo, so it's not that far away from Melbourne.
But I guess I'll have too find out if they will all survive. If not, I'll probably end up keeping them. But at the moment I currently have 18 axies in my house.</font>

C

cori

Your very lucky to have that many axie's! You are about 3 hours away from me... am currently researching safe methods of transport for aquarium animals including axie's, otherwise you aren't too far away specially by the sounds of how cute your lil axie babies sound, that is if you do become over-loaded and need to find a new home for an axie or two,

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jolly

<font color="119911">I found a good method of transport for small axies was on of those large plastic bags you get from a pet shop, the ones the put fish in, then get an esky to put the bag in. They sit quite comfortably. My older ones don't seem to mind movement that much. They're very hardy.</font>

C

cori

Would keep them nice and secure... darkness would probably help too, how big are the babies now? do you have any pictures?

Regards Eastern_axle

A

amber

*laughs*
The easy feed system really tickled me - it sounds great!

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Cori - unfortunately I don't have a camera. I'm looking to get one though. They are still small, approx. 1.5cm. Right now they are in their little cubicles having din-dins. One has an air bubble though, so he's floating upside down and eating.

Amber - Thanks you. It really helps if you only have a few babies to feed.</font>

C

cori

Unreal!
Keep in touch Jolly, if in the future you decide you need to house an axie or two... Just let me know.

Regards Eastern_axle

J

jolly

<font color="119911">Their little arms are getting a little bit longer! Yahoo!</font>

C

cori

Thats awesome..
would be cool to see some pics, I pick up a new 4ft tank tomorrow so V excited! Going to extend my axie family!

Regards Eastern_axle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!