View Single Post
Old 24th April 2008   #4
Daniel
(Daniel)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They do not die at room temperature, but they do not breed, either (so there is no need to fear a pest if some manage to get loose).
If set free in the house, they will eventually die because of dehydration if there is not enough humidity.

I keep mine in a small plastic container in a styropor-box (the things you use to transport temperature-critical things). Inside this box I have a heating - cable attached to the walls to keep the temperature high. A heating mat might work, too, but some of them can get quite hot.

A fast turnover might indeed be better but if you have the space for several cultures, they are almost self-sustaining after some time.
I personally prefer tropical white woodlice, they have a nearly similar size and a faster turnover.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote