Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New idea for raising young

N

nathan

many of you who use this site
would be familiar with the cull
so you can focus on the other
babies glide well instead of
killing them
violent.gif
just
dump them in a tank that has been
sitting outside for a reasonable
amount of time with plants and bug
breeding in there. I know it sounds
stupid but it better than killing
them, what is the best way to kill
them anyway

S

shane

i new to the whole axoltol thing. i want mine to brred but because they lay so many eggs im not sure what i would do with them. i knew i would have to dispose of them somehow. how does everyone else do it?. thats a better way knowing thats your not directly killing the little (to-be) axolotls. but its probably bettedr than letting them develop. i dont know :S
sad.gif

N

nathan

i am not rely certain how they do it but it could be flushing (toilet) or freezing

N

nathan

but i am not anti cull is just if your
a Beginner who wants to raise there chances
of survivors but i not positive that my
method will work i will test it on my next
bunch of axies who knows it could be the ezy
way to raise young (i wish) but it is
the natural way.

C

cynthia

Do not flush axolotls or their eggs down the toilet as a disposal method.

You can freeze the eggs right after they are laid to stop development then dispose of them. This only works on NEW eggs. Do not wait until they start to develop.

Do not freeze axolotl larvae or adults to kill them. They feel pain all the while they are freezing and dieing.

I do not recommend dumping them outside either. Be responsible and dispose of them before they start to develop if you don't want them.

N

nathan

ok thanx for the info and trust me i have know intentions of killing my axolotls

J

jennifer

I think the idea of putting the extras in an aged tub outdoors has merit. In fact, those might do better than the ones raised carefully indoors!

If you do need to euthanize larvae, either to cull defective ones or to reduce their number, put them in a small container and gradually add ethyl alcohol. Either ethyl rubbing alcohol from a pharmacy, or strong spirits. Start with a small volume of water, and over a period of an hour or two, add the alcohol until you reach about 10% of the total volume.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

J

joan

Or, use my method and just leave the eggs in with the adults. If any larvae make it, it was fate and they get to stay.

A

anne-marie

"Either ethyl rubbing alcohol... or strong spirits"... is this where the worm in the Mescal liquor originates?
lol.gif

S

shane

how do you guys feel about disposing of the eggs? i guess its not so bad as they arent developed.

N

nathan

just a question, do the axolotls become disorientated at all before they die with the alcohol method?

J

jennifer

I throw away eggs, when necessary. I always feel some heartache doing it, but I know the limits of what I can raise. If they were late-stage eggs, I would probably treat with ethyl alcohol, but I throw away early eggs in the trash. Leaving them to hatch with the adults and become food is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion.

The alcohol puts them to sleep, so yes, they gradually become disoriented. But they do not usually freak out or swim frantically, so it appears to be a reasonably "gentle" death.

C

cynthia

I am not fond of the "dump them in a tank that has been sitting outside " method because of the heat. If I were to set a tank outside here even in the shade the water temp would get too high.

A pond in the ground or a really big container of water is a different story... but the word "tank" made me think of a small aquarium.

I just reread my previous post and I sounded a lil snappy lol sorry I did not mean it to come out that way
happy.gif

R

rheann

Hey, I have a question. Will pet stores buy Axolotl babies, or do you have to have a licence to sell to pet stores? I am curious about this. If my axolotls would end up having babies I was thinking I would do this. I don't really know how pet stores work, and I would only sell them to pet stores that I know would take care of them, and I would go in and check on them. I'm not going to worry about this for a long while though. I'm just curoius
happy.gif

B

brian

Usually they will, with no licence needed. Depends on the store though. Axolotls are so rare where I am that I have about 2 dozen stores waiting with bated breath for my axies to breed. However, not all stores will be this excited to get your babies.

J

joan

Rheann, not sure how it'd work in Ca. but my pet store has had an albino axolotl for months, but they want $50 for it, so I'm not surprised at all that it hasn't sold. I guess it depends on how fast they can move them, whether they'd buy them or not.

J

jennifer

The large chain stores here in NM (Petsmart and Petco) both have exclusive contracts for buying live animals, which means they are forbidden from selling anything "bred locally". Stinks.

C

cynthia

The lfs here that ordered 2 of my axolotls for me said they only sold 5 total all year (and 2 of those were to me).

They had one wild colored one for 4 months before someone bought it.

As much as we love our axolotls, apparently most of the pet buying public does not (at least in Boise Idaho).

R

rheann

Thanks Guys
happy.gif
If it ever had to come down to it, i would check with the pet stores. Most of the eggs I would get rid of before they started developing, that way it wasn't cruel, but I don't have to worry about it for a while
happy.gif

B

brian

Majority of the large pet chains from the States have that "exclusive deal" to buy only from their supplier. We have Petsmart and Petcetera up here, and they have the same thing. Even though a good friend of mine runs the local Petsmart reptile department, she can't take any from me to sell there. She's also got a list of animals she is and is not allowed to order, and axolotls are firmly on the do not order list. Best bet for selling babies is to small stores or online (here, kingsnake.com, etc.).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!