View Single Post
Old 10th April 2015   #3
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Dicamptodons in still water?

I would be surprised if it was actually D. tenebrosus. A. gracile, however, is a definite possibility. They can become neotenic and can get quite large, up to 8 or 9 inches. Also, D. tenebrosus needs cool water, and I doubt that the water in these ponds stays very cool in the summer time. I am not saying it is impossible, but I do find it quite unlikely.

As for the bullfrogs, in my experience bull frogs don't go into very deep of water unless they feel threatened. This could explain why there aren't as many in the deeper pools. Plus, in the shallow ponds the water will be warmer, so they would be likely to frequent them more often for that benefit.
The salamanders could eat the tadpoles, but I cant imagine one eating a full sized adult. Most of the adults here in my area are massive, 5 inches total length easily, and very fat and muscular. I don't think even a D. tenebrosus could get that down their throats, unless they ate it piece by piece....but they would have to take a limb off before the frog could escape, and knowing how strong these frogs are ( I once had two hands pinning one to the ground and it forced its way out ), I just don't see it happening.

When you say she says that as time goes on the bullfrog population plummets, do you mean over the course of a few years, or within one year?

Also, in the ponds near my house there is a large population of bullfrogs, and yet A. gracile populations are doing fine. This is another reason I think that the salamanders are A. gracile.

I mean, I suppose it is possible they are D. tenebrosus, but all these things together - them being in ponds, the presence of koi, the presence of bullfrogs, most likely warmer water - I feel it is more likely it is a different species, and my best guess would be A. gracile.
-Seth