Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, new here.

andrew

Reaction score
Isn't it supposed to be really hard to keep the temperature nice and cool for newts and salamanders??? Thats what I've heard which is why I just learn about them here instead of owning some.

J

jeff

My only real concern is that if you are not able to make it to the petstore every few weeks you are really not going to be in a position to care for newts. They require a lot more then just a tank, and even bloodworms are expensive. I just feel that you may have real trouble finding a healthy newt in the petshops, and it will take you some time do get one otherwise from a reputable source. Furthermore, live foods are really importent for newts as well, such as earthworms, blackworms, and waxworms.

Andrew is right too, orientalis(chinse "fire belly"(your not going to find Japanese speices by the way) needs temps under 70 and temps of 80 will kill them.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on November 23, 2005)

D

diego

I'm researching what they need so I can't say I know everything a newt needs I'm not ignorant enough to think they only need a tank, and I'm able to make 10 dollars a week, do blood worms seriously cost more than that? and I've all ready started to save up to buy them.I can make trips to the petstore every few weeks but not EVERY week

And one more thing(don't take this the wrong way) you seem to not like me for no apparent reason?

(Message edited by diego_yay on November 23, 2005)

J

jeff

Diego,
A 3.5 oz pack of frozen bloodworms is around $5-6, and, depending on how many newts you have, should last you a while. For instance, if you have a group of 4 C. orientalis, a 3.5 oz pack of frozen bloodworms would probably last you 4-6 weeks.
As long as you can keep the temperature of the tank lower than 74 degrees (though mid-to-high 60's is more ideal) you should be fine.

D

diego

so that means that if i get 2 then one would last for up to 3 months! wow! awsomeness!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
blob.gif
lick.gif

J

jeff

Well, there are 24 cubes per pack (brand dependant). With two C. orientalis you'd probably only use 2-3 (that would be quite ample) cubes per week. I could see a pack lasting you 3 months with only 2 orientalis.

It would be good to include other things in to their diet every once in a while. Things like chopped earthworms and live blackworms.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on November 23, 2005)

D

diego

defenatly...i was thinking of raising some earth worms since they will get really hard to find in the winter..sounds good?

D

diego

thanks! I read it's very informative!
happy.gif

the only thing is do you know if I could do it but on a much smaller scale, like a shoe box lined with foil? I'll post this some were else
ufo.gif

ali

Reaction score
Diego, you can also keep nightcrawlers (like you buy when you go fishing) in your refrigerator, and chop them up. Mine go crazy for those!

R

ralf

Hi Diego,
you seem to have done quite some research on newts. However, might be a good idea to ask permission from the rest of your family before putting any "funny" stuff like frozen bloodworms or nightcrawlers in your freezer respectively fridge. Just a suggestion, as my family sometimes isn't as understanding regarding my feeder items as I'd want them to be.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, feel free to ask any more questions that might arise and good luck with your project.

D

diego

Yeah,I though about that but in my house we have 2 refrigators one is down in the basement and we don't use it as much even though it's working so I'll probablly put 'em there
biggrin.gif
lick.gif

dot

Reaction score
Hi Diego --

Instead of raising worms, you can also get nightcrawlers at your local WalMart for about 3.75 per 2 dozen. If you're feeding them to C.o., 2 dozen (if kept properly) can last for a really long time.

I'm from CT too, but I'm not all that familiar with what's in your area, however, I'm pretty sure you've got a Petco or a PetsMart where you can get boxes of bloodworm "gum drops" (made by the San Francisco Bay Brand). A box of 40 cubes averages about $8 and will last a while, depending on how many mouths you're feeding.

And Ralf is totally right - definitely warning your family about what you're keeping in the fridge is a good idea. Surprisingly, my mom was cool with the bloodworms in the freezer and the nightcrawlers in the fridge, but she almost had a heart attack when she saw the rats ...

Good luck with your newts!

D

diego

Cool! yeah but my parents are cool to maybe they will freakout a bit with the worms but rats...no way,I imagine you're feeding snakes with them?

Oh and if you don't mind me asking what town in CT do you live in I live in Middletown
happy.gif

dot

Reaction score
At any given time, I've got a mixture of rat fuzzies, large mice and mouse pinkies in the freezer, because I'm trying to switch my ball python over to rats. I keep pinkies for one of my tiger salamanders who eats them like it's her job.

I live in Danbury. Any type of caudate is next to impossible to find here, except for the odd Pachytriton labiatus or two, so good luck finding any.

D

diego

Really...hmmm..well here in middletown there a petstore with pretty varied animals.

J

jeff

My parents were not too happy when the discoverd a wild daphnia culture on the bar... "Move this damn swampwater or I am dumping it out!"

D

diego

If they saw that they wouldn't give me an option they would just dump it themselves...
rofl.gif

E

eve

diego, i have found frogs are MUCH more difficult animals than either newts or toads. salamanders are also, from my experience, much harder to maintain than newts and toads. they just seem to be more delicate and susceptible to disease and temp. changes ect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!