Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

YIPE! SCARY!!

A

aimee

Hello everyone. The scariest thing just happened! I just got my very first axie (He's so cute
happy.gif
)yesterday and I currently have him in a 35 gallon/132 L tank with an external filter and an undergravel one as well.

About an hour ago I went to check up on the little guy and I found him stuck between the aquarium wall and the lift tube of the undergravel filter! He wasn't moving at all and he didn't even flinch when I turned on the hood light. I thought he was dead! I was so scared!

When I went to see if I could move him with a net, he suddenly bolted (scaring me even more lol) and then settled on his belly on the gravel without using his legs in the slightest bit to prop him up. He didn't move at all for a little while after that.

After several minutes he started blowing air bubbles out of his mouth and then yawned a few times.

He's stopped doing the bubble thing and hasn't yawned since and he's started moving a little more, but not as much as he was before this little incident.

Has anyone else had their axie get lodged between their lift tube and aquarium glass? I've completely taken out the undergravel filter now. Do you think he'll be okay? Am I just being paranoid? Yipe!! My heart is still pounding! lol

A

aimee

errr.gif
He's still not very active at all. I'm really worried.... \-:

J

joan

This is all very normal. They don't move a whole lot. They just sit on the bottom, or in plants, or behind a lift tube, doing a whole lot of nothing. They do have rudimentary lungs, and will occasionally go up for air, and then the bubbles have to come back out, so this is what you're seeing.

Personally, I'd avoid the undergravel filter because all it does is trap poo under it, and to clean you'd have to dismantle the tank, and it's very messy.

A

aimee

That makes me feel better
happy.gif
Its an older aquarium and the undergravel filter was sufficient for the fish we used to keep in it. But I've taken it out so I'll never have to go through another scare like that!

Thanks again
smile.gif

kevin

Reaction score
I know how that feels. When I open the lid on my tank my albino (Spud) usually comes up to greet me (and beg for food) and sometimes my wild (Nori) does to.

Once I opened it and Spud came up but I didn't see Nori moving, flicking her gills or anything. After watching her a bit I nudged her side and she just floated sideways - no reaction. Repeat - same thing. I had that sinking feeling and nudged her on the nose.

I don't know who was scared more. Me when she suddenly did a full body lung and nip or her when I jerked my hand out like it was on fire.
Sneaky little things.

Kevin

D

donna

i find that my axies are more active at night. There're in my classroom so they are also more active when there are no kids around and it's nice and quiet. I've had my little guy's for a year now and have had quite a few scares even though they have never gotten themselves stuck so bad that they could not get out from behind the underground filter tubes I still don't like it and 'help' them out from behind the tubes if they go behind there while I'm around. My first axie that died (may she rest i peace) I found that her legs were just lifeless and dangling so I figure if they're sitting on their legs they must be alive!

K

kari

yeah it sounds like he was asleep!! I have occasionaly thought mine was dead cos I got the same reaction (or lack of reaction!) from mine but I think they do sleep deeply and having no eyelids to close its difficult to tell!!
rofl.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!