Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Regarding modifications to the forum

J

john

Over the past few hours some of you may have noticed interesting stuff at the bottom of the main topics page of the forum. This was me testing out some new scripts I have written. I intend to enable them tomorrow, barring issues. You will know when they're enabled because the bottom frame (the one with the recent user and chat user info) will have disappeared...

J

john

I have now instituted the modifications to which I was referring in the previous message. These modifications are:<ul>[*]No more frames. <LI>The recent forum and chat user info is now displayed on the bottom of the main topics page of the site. This info now updates every minute, not every time you load the topics page. <LI>There is now a listing of the top xx posters on the site (makes for interesting viewing, hehe). This list updates every hour. <LI>There is now a list of commands on the bottom of most large topic pages.[/list]Enjoy!

M

mark

Well, my concern, and you may not agree, is that by constantly publishing a list of top posters you may dissuade experienced people with high numbers of posts from posting and encourage serial posters with no experience to post more trivial nonsense in an effort to get on the "leader board".

I also quite liked seeing who was active at the bottom of each page. Just my opinion

J

jeff

I agree with Mark about the leader board.

From a personal preference, I liked the frames. Without them it feels too wide open, but that's just my perspective.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on November 25, 2005)

J

john

Well I think I'm going to limit the top posters part to 10. That should help cut down on it because most of the top people are moderators.

As for the frame, honestly, frames are a bad idea and I never liked them. How about this though? I can put the chat and recent user info on the bottom of _every_ forum page if you like? It's easy to do now that I've written the base code, but I would need some more opinions to back it before I go ahead with it.

J

jennifer

I would also prefer to see the recent user and chat info on each page. Aside from this, the forum looks basically the same to me as it did before. I like not having frames, as it's easier to copy out the link to a specific thread. Thanks for your efforts, John.

J

john

Well I just discovered that to add that stuff to every page is easy. To have it update is nearly impossible. So I guess we're stuck with it on the main page only...

J

john

Due to the number of negative opinions I've received regarding the new top ten feature, I've removed it.

E

ester

Perhaps it'd be possible to move the user info to a place higher up on the main page?
Right now I at least have to scroll down to see it. This doesn't help the chat room, as people tend to join it when they see others in it.

A

alan

Looks good here.

I was horrified to find out yesterday that my son's ICT teacher is showing them how to use ... MSFrontPage (argh) and frames (double argh)!

J

jennifer

Off-topic reply to Alan: Teaching kids to use Frontpage without first teaching them HTML is like teaching them to use a calculator without first teaching them how to add and subtract. I hope you can point this out to the teacher in some tactful manner - good luck!

E

ester

Just a question about:
The recent forum and chat user info is now displayed on the bottom of the main topics page of the site. This info now updates every minute, not every time you load the topics page.

I don't see it update unless I refresh the page. Is that just me?

A

alan

Off topic note to Jen:
It's in the National Curriculum, so tough luck (at least there's no "creation science" in there yet)!

J

john

The page doesn't update, the info does - you must reload the page to see the update though. My point was that the information is polled every minute, so if you reload the topics page it will display the current version. There is no refresh on the site any more.

J

jesper

off-topic to Jen and Alan: Yes, like people not learning assembler before using C++ or like children not learning(being learned) philosophy before taking their first logic-based decisions
biggrin.gif

In the best of worlds...

J

jesper

Finally no frames! Great! One thing though:
I used to use the reload button to get back to the main frame before... Now I need a home button to get to the main forum menu, and I certainly do not want to scroll
wink.gif

Would be great if you could do something about that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!