Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are there any fully aquatic newts?

L

luis

Hi:
Have a 55 gallon in a cool part of house wanted to know if any aquatic newts.I know most arent truly aquatic and need a land area.
Thanks.
Luis

F

fra

it mostly depends on where do you live and what kind of species are you able to find in petshops near you...
your profile says you're martian... don't know anything outside the earth, sorry!
alien.gif
smile6.gif

(by the way, lots of newts can be housed in a totally aquatic environment as good as they're kept in a semiaquatic one.)

E

eddie

the paddletail newt is probably the most aquatic newt in my experience,i have never seen any out of the water,also adult chinese firebelly newts can and will stay aquatic,but a land area is always a good idea for any newt.

D

david

Paddle tails would be good. So would Spanish ribbed newts and the Oponeus sub-species of the Alpine newts. There's allways axolotls if you want to stay completely aquatic.

L

luis

Thank you very much for the answer.Thats what I somewhat thought other than a few not to many truly fully aquatic newts.I was eyeing the alpine and Italian newts but they arent fully aquatic might change the tank to have land area as these are rather attractive newts.
thanks
Luis

J

jennifer

Luis, for many of the mostly-aquatic newts (including the alpines and also firebellies or eastern newts, which are easy to obtain) they can live quite well with just a small island, such as a floating piece of cork bark or a rock. I would NOT recommend making a land area by sloping a ton a gravel.

F

fra

Louis, i keep my alpine in a full-aquatic tank, and they're doing well...

L

luis

Thanks,I was thinking of floating driftwood.I have a large piece of driftwood that refuses to sink.I have had it for 2 years in my backyard pond in the hopes that one day it would sink and I could use it in my sunfish cool water tank but it refuses so it would be great as an "island".As far as the newts go the easterns are so common around here(I infact live not far from where that guy collects them and sells them on kingsnake.com)
that I am not interested in Easterns but the Alpines look great.
Thanks.
Luis

F

fra

the driftwood's ok.
be sure to wash it (with just water!) before keeping it in the tank, just to prevent micro-organism that you may probably have in the pond to inavde the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!