Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

There is a Necturus beyeri (actulally a N. cf. species beyeri) for sale!!

ryan

Reaction score
There is this species for sale on kingsnake.com (I know many of you people frown on this) and I wish to purchase one. You know me and Necturus. This is the exact species under contraversy and I believe if I get one I can do more research on them. If I do get one I will be keeping it in the same type of setup as my N. maculosus, a 20 gallon, some rock hides, gravel, elodea, fluval 2 plus. I am very excited!

Troy Hibbits if you read this can you give me any info on keeping this species? This would be much appreciated.

F

foster

Ryan,
Just as a suggestion, give it a 20 long as opposed to a 20 high. Even though the volume of water is the same there will be more bottom surface area for it to move around in. Also, if you are truly serious about keeping Necturus then you should consider investing in several larger tanks (at least 50 - 100 gallons, if not more) and buy a group for breeding purposes. A group of six will almost guarantee that you will have at least one pair. You should have dividers on hand in addition to extra aquariums in case you have to separate individuals. This would be much better than buying one individual for a pet....
Chip

ryan

Reaction score
Well I can't afford all that currently and I don't plan on breeding Nectrus for a few years. I don't really want to breed this species anyway, I would like to mearly observe it because there is not much information published on this species.

I may/probably/ought to get a 20 long for this species.

ryan

Reaction score
Yup, they are N. cf species beyeri, the seller verified it. I may go out and get the tank, filter, gravel etc. this and next week.

ryan

Reaction score
Glades Herps have Necturus alabamensis!!!!! This is horrible these animals are very rare! I would only buy them to breed. Their price is $55. If they have identified it right and this truly N. alabamensis I'm pretty mad. I am going to send them an e-mail to see if they can send my a picture and see if it is this species.

A

abrahm

Not everyone adheres to your description of the Necturus genus and there are still many quite recent records that describe N. alabamensis as having a large range (as illustrated in Petranka's book) and not being the Black Warrior waterdog. The Necturus genus is in flux and it will probably be some time until a definitive restructuring is decided upon. Trying to impose your own idea of the phylogeny onto the genus will only add to the confusion. That is unless you can assist in field observations along with genetic and molecular comparisions of animals to type specimens and review of the body of primary research.

I wouldn't even trust most Kingsnake sellers with accurate species names. Often times they have no idea what they are selling. Also, unless they can give you locality data that you can trust, how can you be sure about identification.

ryan

Reaction score
I have decided that I won't be getting the Necturus from kingsnake, one is enough for now.

I understand that not everyone agrees with me, but I have said many times that this is my opinion. I think that my opinion is good enough for me untill this is all sorted out. Have you seen this thread of mine: http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/81134.html?1175729125
I personally don't agree with Petranka's idea of the genus in his book although it is a great wealth of knowledge.

Abrahm what is your opinion on the genus?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!