Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First newts or sals

D

dane

I was wondering what was your guys first newts or salamanders that you found and or kept as a pet

For me the first one I ever found was a blue spotted salamander. I went camping on our land in northern Wisconsin and I told my parents I was gonna find some salamanders and the second log I looked under I found one, I was so stoked!!

And the first one I kept as a pet was also a blue spotted sal, my Dad found it in a tire in a junk yard

J

joan

The first one I ever found was a blue spotted sal also. My first as pets were some jeffersons sals.

I

ian

Hi Dane
The first newt i kept over 40 years ago was a great crested newt, then there were ponds all over full of them now unfortunately i can't think of one pond nearby that has'nt been filled in or stocked with fish(they wont breed in ponds with fish in them if they happen to the tadpoles swim in mid water so are easily picked off).They are now totally protected i hope its not too late.

A

alberto

Hi Dane
My first newt was way back in 1972 or 1973. It was a male Red Spotted Newt that I bought at a pet store! I had a great time feeding and watching him. I would get a sewing needle with some string and attach a fly to it and dangle it near him and he would swim to it and snatch it!
lick.gif

simon

Reaction score
First animal I found was a Red Eft in a frisbee in Vermont. First animal I kept was a C. orientalis.

C

charles

The first sally I found was a group of 3 long tailed salamanders under a large flat rock at a creek by my house.

J

joseph

First I kept was a bait store tiger salamander, before they were outlawed in CA. Bought for $1

First I found would be an Ensatina.

K

karen

My first newts were eastern (red spotted) newts; I ordered some as my AP Biology project. Didn't do much with the project because I just loved watching them. One of them (Maximillian) ended up going with me to college for 3 years before he passed. Just this year I started again, and have two easterns, John and Paul. I can't believe it took me 20 years to start keeping newts again, but I'm glad I did.

tony

Reaction score
first kept was a pair of eastern newts that were 2nd grade class pets.
first found.. species unknown.. used to find 3inch brown/black salamanders in this brook near this baseball field around the same time when i was like 8yrs old. maybe a slimy???

P

paul

the first one i kept as i can remember.....(this was a long time ago) was as i believe was a spotted salamander. I found it under a tombstone in a graveyard near a park when camping... then i had what i believe was some aquatic larvae of some other salamander in a 55 gal.... i threw in plants from the lake for them to hide in.....they never bacame adults...... i never had any land in there......heh.... i was really young

D

dane

thanks for the tales guys, its always fun to hear stories on this stuff

J

jennifer

My tale is somewhat like Karen's: I got some eastern newts for a project in college, then ended up keeping about 12 of them. Amazingly, the longest-lived ones of that group lived with me for over 20 years after college.

J

jim

Like Joseph my first were bait tigers when I was young. I got them for $1.25 each and the bait store guy even told me how to morph them. First kept were Cynops Pyrrhogaster.

K

kara

tiger salamanders as bait, ive read that a lot....For fishing bait??
what does this mean?

J

joan

Yeah, they're used to catch large carnivorous fish, like bass or walleye.

K

kara

I just use peameal bacon for bait,(the true canadian way, eh)...tiger sals must must be expensive as bait...I am thinking about getting one in the future...may have to special order one from an exotic pet store.

J

joan

You can usually buy a dozen for less than $10. They collect them from breeding ponds.

K

kara

to me, that seems horrible...there are plenty other species to use as live bait....to take them from the wild?? BOO!
I called a speacialty pet store here in windsor today, they said it would cost 70.00$ canadian for one tiger salamander...and they will not be in for another two months. I am going to try to find a tiger on caudata's for sale page....if you see or hear of any Joan, PLEASE let me know! I will gladly pay shipping cost...I am getting a new tank in two weeks, so, I have to wait a little while...

J

joseph

Yeah...the larvae are harvested from ponds. I read somewhere hear its been done for a while and doesn't seem to have too much of an affect(kinda hard to believe). Have to say to a little kid they were worth a lot more than a buck. It was a bit amusing cause pet stores in my city would sell morphed ones for $20 and waterdogs like half the size of bait store ones for $5. I've only heard of one person captive breeding them...and not much besides photos(its buried in the ambystoma section).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!