View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014   #4
Skudo09
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: How can I keep my tank cool? Please help

Chillers are the most reliable and effective way of keeping tanks cool. I don't have a chiller though as I cannot yet afford it but I am planning to have enough saved to purchase one if needed for the next Summer.

Currently though I have a nylon mesh lid. I did have a metal one but I replaced it as soon as I noticed a small amount of rust forming. I didn't want the rust getting into the water. Along with the mesh lid, I have two clip on fans I bought online. They are amazing. The description when I purchased claimed they could decrease the temperature by up to 7C (depending on quantity of water). I have one set on each side of the tank and so far I have not had to worry about the temperature getting too high. Mind you it is currently autumn here and the weather is starting to cool down so next Summer will be the true test on how well they work.

You could also try insulating the tank. I have a foil type car windscreen cover protector wrapped around the outside of the back of the tank. If was super hot I could insulate it more by wrapping another one around the front but whilst the temperature is ok I don't so I can see my lotls. But you could use other materials to help insulate the tank as well.