Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Painful

N

nic

I know. I can't believe it. Aren't there international trade laws that protect our endangered species? These people have no respect for our laws. At the same time, it makes me wonder if any of the species coming here are protected in certain parts of asia. Where does one go to find out? Does caudata have this information posted anywhere?

K

kaysie

Hasn't Tim posted pics of this shop before? Nic, I'm almost certain that a fair amount of species from asia are protected, or at least rare. Cryptobranchids are not Federally protected, so they're up for trade.

However, it still makes me sick that some extremely rare salamanders can be up for sale to whoever wants them, even if they know nothing about the species. This goes for Japanese shops as well as US shops. Like the recent importation of T. shanjing. How many people bought these that really dont even know what they are?

(Message edited by kaysie on July 03, 2004)

C

clarence

I blame the shops for providing the means-to-market, but F---ing shame on the ones doing the collecting. The difficulty finding these animals should be evidence enough of their need for preservation.

All mighty dollar isn't going to save them when nature lays hands on them.

E

edward

What I found interesting is that there are animals on that list that are from countries that do not export any wildlife for the pet trade and strongly regulate any animals going to Zoos or other institutions. (for example I think Potomotyphlops kauperi is only found in Brazil and Brazil does not export any wildlife).

Ed

K

kaysie

Clarence, I think you mean All mighty Yen.

Did someone say illegal exportation? How do we fix this, Ed?

E

edward

The country of import would have to enforce the CITES agreement. The ability to enforce it will depend on how well the animals have been laundered as well as the willingness of the importing country to dig around to enforce CITES.

Ed

E

edward

GLobal Pet Exporters is the exporter I would suspect as they had advertised last year on kingsnake.com that they wanted hellbenders in 100 lots.

Ed

megan

Reaction score
This scenario gives me all the more reason to fear for the surplus offspring of captive-breeding - for - species - preservation efforts. Undoubtedly, a certain number of A. Japonica and A. Davidianus are meeting a similar fate.
How big and powerful an enterprise is Global Pet Exporters?

E

edward

Andrias are much safer than hellbenders as hellbenders are not covered under CITES but Andrias are.

Ed

megan

Reaction score
Maybe Hellbenders will be covered by CITES in the nick of the nick of time. Does anyone here know the process by which a species gains protection by CITES?

E

edward

It has to be negotiated into the treaty at the next convention. Which means that it has to be placed onto the ballot through a nomination process (I suspect that if you want more info you may need to contact USF&W).

Ed

E

edward

If someone has the contacts (or speaks/read Portuguse I suspect forwarding that site to the appropriate authorities in Brazil will cause a fuss...

Ed

C

coen

How can the animals even live in those circumstances? made me sick too....

megan

Reaction score
Thankyou, Ed
I will try to find out more on my own, from F&WS. Hopefully I find something relevant that I can share here!

N

nic

Hey Megan,
Please do let us know if you find something. I know I will want to act on it and I'm sure others here will too.
Nic

F

francesco

Salamandras and triturus are protected over here. I wonder how he managed to get those gigliolii...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!