View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019   #5
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: First post(:

Okay so I'd recommend tubbing your axolotl until your cycle is finished (once both ammonia and nitrite are 0, and you have nitrates). This will keep it protected from the ammonia and will help with healing. When tubbing you need to change 100% water every day. The good thing is if doing this you wont need to do any water changes in the tank, it'll cycle quickly that way. Bottled bacteria and live plants can help it along, though plants should be quarantined.
As for the diet pellets are good but crickets aren't the best. Axolotls have trouble digesting the exoskeleton which can cause digestion issues. I always try and get my axolotls on worms (nightcrawlers especially) as it's the best option and keeps them nice and plump. If you offer more pellets will he eat them, or have you tried offering pellets more than once a day?
Great that you are using the turkey baster! The ammonia tells me there must be something hidden in the tank making the levels so high. Move around the decorations in case he's left some treasures for you :)
Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote