Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie in "tree house"

S

steffi

Hey everybody,

I just found my axie sitting in the top of one of the plants in the tank, dangling its little legs either side. It looked so relaxed and comfortable, does anybody else's axies do that aswell?
Is there a reason for it (hiding from nonexistent predators or something)?

Anyway, this was so cute, I thought I would share it with you.

Cheers, Steffi

andrew

Reaction score
This is called the "Hang out" position.

Axies love to hang out. People who have to strong a filter will experience this less.

My guys love getting themselves in amongst the plants and just chilling out with each other.

J

joan

I think we just coined it 'hang out'. I don't think that's a scientific term
biggrin.gif
. Mine will often do it with just one foot on a plant, or their tail resting on it. Or they'll sit on the bottom, and stick their front legs up. I think they do it just because they don't spend a lot of time doing very much of anything. They're lazy (to use a human term) as far as most animals go.

J

jordan

Mine does that after he goes to the top for air, he rushes down right into the plant and just sits there.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
My cutie Axelina does it too. It makes me wonder how the little plants can support her weight, strange! I have a air bubble machine in my tank, and Axelina just loves to attack the bubbles for ages, it's real fun to watch.She also likes to get herself to lie on top of the machine, so the bubbles will lift her in the air. First I was a bit worried the bubbles may damage her sensitive skin somehow, but luckily not, as she loves it.Haha, she is soo entertaining. But she hardly ever swims, mostly just keeps walking around. She has never been to the top of the tank to get air. Isn't that a bit strange?

C

charles

Julio (my axie) does that as well. just chills at the top of the tank, or on top of the plants. I think it works well for him because the water coming off the filter moves past him so he just sits there flapping his gills occasionally
happy.gif

S

si

Yeah my guy does it after a gulp of air usually, there are some pics of him in action in the axie gallery titled "Crouching Axi Hidden Bloodworm"
happy.gif

They're hilarious little beasts!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!