View Single Post
Old 11th October 2010   #22
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Fair Pricing for Axolotls

I find myself kind of agreeing with Jay. What you see on Caudata.org and at shows is close to or below wholesale prices for axolotls. If you look at retail price it is higher. The internet, lack of permits, tax evasion, and illegal operations blur the issue.

I'm in Pennsylvania and had to obtain a Dept of Ag. permit to breed salamanders and a reptile and amphibian dealer license to sell salamanders. I have a state tax number for Pa. and every state where I sell axolotls at reptile shows. I pay state sales tax even if it is not profitable. I pay federal income tax on profits. I paid license fees, import fees and sometimes broker fees for every amphibian I brought into the country. I don't ship animals to other countries or receive animals from other countries in unmarked boxes. I don't ship ambystomids to CA. or NJ. and lose lots of sales to less scrupulous breeders.

Small hobby breeders don't bother me. It does not take many sales to bring your hobby to the size where legally you should have all of the permits and pay all of the taxes. When you breed and sell more than a clutch or two a year you are no longer a small hobby seller. If you live in California you should not be breeding and selling any Ambystomids. New Jersey law is even more strict and can be interpreted as you should not be breeding any salamanders that have gills at any stage.

Depending on how the adults are kept axolotls can be seasonal breeders. Some keep them in a way where they breed year round. Their are fluctuations in pricing depending on how many axolotls are being produced at a particular time and the rarity of the type. Axolotls are legal in Alaska and Hawaii but are higher priced due to the logistics of getting them there.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote