View Single Post
Old 27th July 2010   #18
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Golden Axie Eggs Available

I've sent axolotls to Alaska with no problems. Salamanders are covered under fish in Alaska. The answer is a little vague but I think it means the guy just told me axolotls are o.k. in Alaska.

Good afternoon,

I hope this finds you well.

Amphibians are classified as fish in Alaska. Right now, it is legal to keep only ‘ornamental fish’ as pets. We have no definitive list of what is allowed to be imported but make the call in each situation presented to us. Ornamental fish must be ‘tropical’ in origin and cannot survive under Alaskan conditions. Further, because accidental releases do happen, amphibians imported may not be known carriers of diseases of concern. For example, bullfrogs and African clawed frogs are generally prohibited species: they are only allowed to be imported for research purposes via a fish resource permit as they can carry the chytrid fungus and rana virus.

I can find nothing on the web that suggests the aquatic salamander you want to import should be prohibited as it is considered to be a tropical species. Please understand that it can never be released into the waters of Alaska and that aquarium effluent should be disinfected before discharge into a sewage treatment system.

I suggest you contact the USFWS about moving your salamander across state lines to make sure such transports is legal. I did come across something that suggested the salamander is endangered in its home range which could bring an International treaty into play.

Thanks for contacting us and please do again if you have questions.

Sincerely,

Bob

Box 115526, 1255 W. 8th Street
Juneau, AK 99811-5526
(907) 465-6109 phone (907) 465-2772 fax
robert.piorkowski@alaska.gov
michael is offline   Reply With Quote