View Single Post
Old 28th March 2011   #23
Carson
(carsona246)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: carsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and informationcarsona246 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Nirtate and Nitrite Spike please help!

definatly do not try from scratch. All the beneficial bacteria that is converting the ammonia to the nitrite your getting is in your old filter. I would definatly not consider getting another axolotl if your planning on keeping them both in a 15 gallon. In my mind a 15 gallon is barely big enough for one fully grown axolotl. Is your axolotl fullly grown? Are you testing right after a waterchange, or a day later? If your testing a day later my best guess is you need to upgrade your tank size. My aquatic setup background is from fishkeeping, and if someone said they planned on keeping a 10" fish in a 10 gallon tank people would call them crazy. I'm still trying to figure out why a 10 gallon tank is considered the minimum gallon size for 1 axolotl that can potentially reach 12". I would say for 2 axolotls a 30 breeder would be the bare minimum.

What I think is going on is your tank is just too small for your axolotl. The nitrite is either there because the tank is not finished cycling, or it cannot handle the bioload of your axolotl. The 40 ppm's of nitrate are there because of the original 1 ppm of ammonia that is present in every waterchange, and your either feeding too much, or your axolotl is getting too big. There might be other factors, and therefore I could be wrong. I'm just trying to tell you exactly what I think the problem is. For all I know there could be a rotting worm or something in your filter, and that's the cause of the high nitrate. But if someone was getting 40 ppm's of nitrate a day in their tank, my first guess is they need to upgrade the tank size.
carsona246 is offline   Reply With Quote