View Single Post
Old 11th November 2011   #3
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Dry Shrimp - Red Gammarus Pulex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I spotted these in the koi section of my local fish shop. After a 10-15min soak in warm water to soften them slightly (even alive I think they'd be crunchy) I tweezer fed them to a wide selection of newts, both aquatic and terrestrial. Mostly they were well accepted although there was the odd rejection. As an occasional supplement I think they might be a good source of carotene and being dry will have a long shelf life.

Anyone else tried these as a long term supplement? How do the nutritional values compare with other dried invertebrates?
I'd have to compare them to the reported values for other invertebrates but they are an important source of carotenoids other than carotene such as astaxanthin. People often assume that carotene is the only carotenoid that is needed by amphibians but this has not been the case in other taxa (particularly anurans). Carotenes are not efficiently converted to retinol by amphibians which means that most captive amphibians are deficient in vitamin A which can directly impact fertility, development of embryos and/or immune responses.
In at least the aquatic tadpole stage, tadpoles use astaxanthin to form vitamin A and there is little evidence to indicate that caudates are any different.

Ed
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote