The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 3rd March 2018   #1
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Ambystoma dumerilii

Well, what can I say, I had an empty tank. Chris messaged me and after moments of indecision, questions and so on, I agreed to take on these beautiful animals. I had seen them before and it was love at first sight, I'd bravely offered to take on any eggs, but missed that opportunity as I was recuperating from surgery. I never in a million years expected to home these guys.
I am so far finding little information, but I'm quietly working my way through the internet, learning as much as I can.
They are a group of two males, three females and a juvenile from the breeding in October. I will be keeping a pair, the others will be going to someone who already has some.
From what I understand these originate from a group of five animals that may have accidentally been imported into Europe with A. mexicanum. These where split into two groups, Group A was a pair and Group B was a trio, one of these groups went to a European zoo. The split led to the animals looking a little different from one another, one being smaller and the other far bigger. I believe these are from the B group.
Size wise they are huge, the biggest I have measured is 28cm from nose to tail tip. This was a female. They are solid with curious little stumpy feet. The caudal fin seems 'stronger' than that of Axolotl and A. tigrinum. The males have dark black speckling on their feet and along their spine/ caudal fin. The skin on their faces is somewhat pitted in appearance and olive coloured. I've noticed that they do something really odd with their back legs, not sure of its a trait from being male/ female, but they lift their rear legs up vertically. I'll be watching to see if I can work out why.
They are currently eating raw tiger prawn and they'll be getting lob worm/ night crawlers ( with saddle removed) once the grounds defrosted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_122816.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	758.7 KB
ID:	52677   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_122833.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	52678   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_122942.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	52679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_154346.jpg
Size:	789.2 KB
ID:	52680   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_154535.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	52681  

Name:	20180301_193427.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	734.3 KB
ID:	52682  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma dumerilii

They are beautiful!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018   #3
mr cyclone
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Re: Ambystoma dumerilii

Cool , Iím sure they will be really happy with you Julia .Hope all is well

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018   #4
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

This afternoon I got out my camera and sent a while stalking them
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1716.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	52686   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1719.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	52687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1725.JPG
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	52688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1727.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	52689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1748.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	52690  

Name:	DSCF1759.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	579.5 KB
ID:	52691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1766.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	526.6 KB
ID:	52692  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018   #5
Slongo

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Slongo is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow stunning animals! You are very lucky, I have been trying to find some other neotenic ambystoma for several years now. Enjoy them!

Slongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018   #6
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Put me down for some eggs if/when they happen please!