Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wine cooler? and fridge?

newtron

Reaction score
Due to the cost of central air, and the overwhelming summer, i have kept all the salamanders that i have left in my compact fridgerator. So far they have been there for 3 months. I have not fed them and i have changed their substrate occasionally. Is it possible to keep them in the fridge for 2 more months until october? What is the ideal temperature? How often should i change their remedial setup? I am using paper towels so far. Does anyone else have other suggestions for substrate? What is the longest members in the forum have kept their herps in stasis?

Lastly, has anyone had any experience using wine coolers as a way of hibernating their newts?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A wine cooler should work fine. Since it may be small, it would be a good idea to open the door every day to let in fresh air. Since the temp is somewhat higher than the refrigerator, you would actually have to feed the animals. In fact, I'm thinking that you should try to feed them in the refrigerator. Some species may be willing to eat, even at that temp.

For substrate, I would recommend coco-fiber (Bed-a-beast stuff), actual soil, or petshop "forest floor" type products.

Finally, I would say that there are some species that should never be kept in the fridge. Cynops ensicauda is the one that comes to mind.

Ed

Reaction score
I would suggest offering food on at a weekly basis at those temperatures. Salamanders and newts do not truely enter into a stasis or hibernation period and should continue to feed.

If you have the technical know how you can replace the thermostate in the fridge to hold at a warmer temperature (say 65).

Ed

newtron

Reaction score
A wine cooler should work fine. Since it may be small, it would be a good idea to open the door every day to let in fresh air. Since the temp is somewhat higher than the refrigerator, you would actually have to feed the animals. In fact, I'm thinking that you should try to feed them in the refrigerator. Some species may be willing to eat, even at that temp.

For substrate, I would recommend coco-fiber (Bed-a-beast stuff), actual soil, or petshop "forest floor" type products.

Finally, I would say that there are some species that should never be kept in the fridge. Cynops ensicauda is the one that comes to mind.

Hi Jen, Aside from cynops ensicauda are there other species that can not tolerate the wine cooler? What are the criteria for determining suitability?

Ted, i dont have the technical knowhow but i am more than enthusiastic to try, any suggestions as to where i should look to start?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1