What kind of Newt/Sal(s) do you have?

What species of Newt/ Sal(s) do you have?

• Axolotl

Votes: 98 38.4%
  • Tiger Salamander (all types)

Votes: 51 20.0%
  • Rough-Skinned Newt/California Newt (Taricha spp.)

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • Notophthalmus spp.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • Plethodontids

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • Paddletail or Warty Newt (Pachytriton/Paramesotriton)

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Tylototriton verrucosus

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • other Tylototriton

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • Chinese Firebelly (Cynops orientalis)

Votes: 67 26.3%
  • Other cynops

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • Fire Salamanders (Salamandra salamandra spp.)

Votes: 38 14.9%
  • Sharp-ribbed newts (Pleurodeles spp.)

Votes: 39 15.3%
  • Neurergus spp.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • Marbled Newts (Triturus marmoratus)

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Alpine Newts (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton alpestris)

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Other crested newts (Lissotriton, Triturus, Ommatotriton)

Votes: 45 17.6%
  • Other Native North America

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Other Native European

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other Native Asian

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters
I was speaking in generalities and not attacking anybody. The T. verrocusus I started with came from that whole Britt Fiasco. I was lucky to get my money back for the animals I didn't get from him. I've bred a lot of T. verrocusus over the years. Last year I produced some and Dawn produced some. I wound up selling offspring from her breeders and from my breeders.

Anyhow I was trying to say it's interesting to make a list of what we have. Many of us become obsessive and want the next big thing that comes along. Each additional species kept makes it more difficult to manage a collection.

I did want to than Jake Publicly for the good feed back he left me as a breeder and seller.

I always thought that those verrocosus' were from the 'Britts Amphibians' fiasco some years back.
Chip

Yea. I didn't import them. Britt imported them and I got all that were available from him. If I looked through my notes I could figure out who Britt was. I really don't remember.

My sals/newts:

3 Batrachoseps attenuatus or California Slender Salamander

2 P. waltl or Spanish Ribbed Newt

2 Ensatina e. oregensis or Oregon Ensatina

2 Aneides f.flavipunctatus or Speckled Black Salamander

Last edited by a moderator:
I have:

2:3 Triturus Dobrogicus
0:0:8 Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis
0:0:13 Ambystoma Laterale

Whats an interesting poll :D

I have only 3 species:

11,11,10 Ambystoma mexicanum (Axolotl)
0,0,3 Paramesotriton (Laotriton) laoensis
0,0,2 Neurergus kaiseri

Whats an interesting poll :D

I have only 3 species:

0,0,3 Paramesotriton (Laotriton) laoensis
0,0,2 Neurergus kaiseri

I have to update my listing, because I got an other P. laoensis.

So I have now:
0,0,4 Paramesotriton (Laotriton) laoensis
0,0,2 Neurergus kaiseri

:D

I only have C.orientalis atm..

all my other babys have gone :(
silly moving houses...

I only have three left. and a very lonely looking tank, so i've moved them into a 20 gal until I can find some companions for them, and i can keep some other pretty sals in my bigger one ^^ :yin-yang:

I've now got a 'collection plan' and I'm focusing on European species.

I think I'm about to become a Triturus and Salamandra kleptomaniac if I'm not careful :rolleyes:

I love my T Marms, and my salamandra. Hard not to fall for salamandra. They are my favorite.

Right now I only have one young T marm. Had him about a month now. I'm already looking for another tank to take in some more newts.

Great poll!
I have 5. N.v.v. and counting...(they're laying eggs:happy:) 1. P. cinereus, and 1.A. maculatum. Also around 30 recent hatchling that I am fairly certain are also A. maculatum.

Wow, I'm like... one of... two? people who have only one.
I've only seen TWO salamanders in my life, my tiger, and the first ones I've seen, Eurycea neotenes. (If I can spell.) So this is like, mind blowing to me. I don't even know where to find a pet salamander. (Mine was a gift when he was a larvae.)
And nope, never seen a newt.

1.0.0 Tiger salamander
0.1.0 S.s.salamandra
1.1.0 Fire-bellied newts
Hopefully some axolotls

I think I am having newt/salamander envy here. I just have one species, C. orientalis, because I happened to stumble upon some malnourished ones and had to have them. Since then I have looked at some other species, but I am hesitant to get anything until I have my degree. The sheer number of species available blows my mind though!

Hi all!I keep this- Salamandra Terrestris albinos 0:0:9,red 1:1:4-Salamandra Atra 1:1:7-Taricha Granulosa 4:3:8-Taricha Rivularis 3:0:0

I currently have 57 species s

That's insane! I'm so jealous! I've got 9 species, but I have a love for toads and frogs as well.

A.m.mavortium 0.2.0
A.m.diaboli 1.2.0
T.cf.kweichowensis 1.2.0
T.dobrogicus 4.5.0
T.carnifex 4.4.0
N. viridescens 3.4.5
H. orientalis 1.3.0
P. waltl 3.2.70
A. mexicanum 2.0.0

2 Pachtriton Labiatus (not sure of genders) and 1 Cynops Orientalis larva so far, I want plenty more, but having 3 is pushing my luck as it is

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back