Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Iucn (in CC amphib glossary)

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
IUCN (acronym): International Union for Conservation of Nature
Founded 1948 as the first international environmental organization, IUCN unites governments and other organizations to ensure passage of protective laws, best practices, and a unified standard of conservation worldwide.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would include a link to the organization: IUCN - Home
And add that this organization is responsible for the Red List that identifies threatened and endangered species on an international level. Does anyone know if this organization is also directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I Does anyone know if this organization is also directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings?
Jen, I cannot find that IUCN is directly responsible for making decisions about CITES listings. Its influence however would seem intuative. The only direct connection between the two that I can find thusfar is that CITES was drafted as a result of a resolution adopted in 1963 at a meeting of members of IUCN. Maybe someone else knows something differently.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
IUCN: Acronym for the International Union for Conservation of Nature which was founded in 1948 and the first international environmental organization. IUCN unites governments, scientists and other organizations to ensure passage of protective laws, best practices, and a unified standard of conservation worldwide. This organization is responsible for the [Red List] that identifies threatened and endangered species on an international level. See [link to IUCN website].

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!