Please post pictures of your tank!!

Ahhh you're allowed to bump. I love seeing other peoples creations too :happy: Looking forward to seeing yours.

Shall I kick off the next wave of pics? I stripped and redid the David tank from above when I moved it's previous residents to a larger tank. It now houses 3 4cm axies. They are 4 months old and seemed to stop growing sometime after it was 1 month old. Hopefully now they are out and I can keep an eye on them they will start growing again.

Anyway the before is above and here is the after in the all new Purple and white. I've since added David back in the back left corner near the thermometer and am looking for another hide for them. The tank has never looked so big. Insert usual disclaimer about the light only being on for the Pics. 2 of the tank since you can't see the shell with the flash on but the rest of the pic is pretty crappy without it :rolleyes:
YES I know it will probably be a pain to clean but the first vaccum went well. All but 2 of the white stones are attached to a mesh underneath so they aren't going anywhere and they have been on that sized substrate (1mm maximum) for 2-3 months now and poop it out just fine.

2web139.jpg

2cntjwl.jpg

2 of the occupants, the hyopmelanoid wilds for good measure and because it's easier to see the floor in these ones :happy: I take no responsibility for their names, that was my 6 year old son.

Midget
j8igao.jpg

and The axie formerly know as Chomper (named him then decided he didn't like the name but is yet to give it a new one :rolleyes: )
xfp7gw.jpg

Gidget the smallest of the 3 and an ordinary wild type is hiding under the shell barely visible behind Midget under the front to the shell in the first 2 pics.

Can't wait to see more from everyone else.

Aeri! That second photo is ridiculously cute!

I'm looking forward to creating it Mere. I love what you've done with the rocks and sand! Was thinking of making a java moss wall to go with my lime green sand, like Mewsie has :) Just not sure what kind of decs to go for, probably just lots of live plants and a rock cave. Then I have 2 more to axiescape! My 4ft is nearly done, wanted a quirky look for that so gone with purple sand, just need a plan for my other 2 ft! Sadly the day I run out of the dechlorinator is the day it decides to uncycle... :mad: Saying that though, I've had my eye on an amazing tank structure in my LFS for some time, it's £47 though... It's a massive fake coral thing with a few caves and fake brightly coloured plants on it... :p Seeing other peoples' creation is fun but expensive because of the ideas you get!

Some pet and aquarium stores will stock colored sands. Mine came from Bunnings (a hardware and DIY superstore kind of thing) and is sold as decorator sand in little 1kg bags. It's perfectly safe for aquariums and comes in lots of pretty colors.

You could also try finding it online I know I've seen it on a lot of sites but the postage to Australia always put me off ;)

Aww Aeri that 2nd pic is adorable! Very nice setup too :)

Ooooh your green tank is starting to sound like it's going to be stunning! I want to put a moss wall on the back of the purple tank but have to wait for the Java moss stocks to increase so I can steal a heap from hubbys hothouse without him noticing ;) Should only be a couple more months once the days are getting longer again and the plants start to grow again. Stupid winter :(
That ornament sounds spectacular, it would want to be for 47 quid. I went looking for ornaments last weekend but everyhting I found that I loved had sharp edges or pointy bits making it unsuitable or it was just the wrong stinkin' colour :(

Last edited:
The beauty of having a quirky tank is there's no colour scheme :p It's like a rainbow has hit it lol. Putting a hold on the axiescaping plans again! Gutted but excited! Taking on a metamorphed axie and possibly an albino axie so need to save my pennies to travel the 400 miles to get them instead of train idea lol but it will definitely be worth it. Fingers crossed I get offered a job soon to fund my addiction!

What are the best type of fake plants to use?

What are the best type of fake plants to use?

It's very much up to you (and the ol' budget) but I like the 'silk' variety as the axies spend a LOT of time in the plants, I'm a fan of nice soft leaves for their marshmallowy skin :)

I like that you described them as having "marshmallowy skin," Mewsie. That brought up all kinds of cute mental pictures. :p Especially of leucistics.

here is a pic of my current tank, sorry about the quality it was just taken quickly on my iSight camera.

note lance hanging about the top waiting for a feed, as she always does.

Attachments

• Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,909
Here is my tank containing my first axie! :D It's normally a lot less bright than this but it didn't show up in the photos so I had to put some more light on it.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4,524
Ooh, Caroline, pretty tank! Very natural, I love all the plants! :)

This is the tank I JUST got set up today. My little Commodore Motley outgrew his current tank and I got this 20-long for $15! Woot woot! This set-up's totally going to change though, I have lots of stuff with silicone drying that I'm going to put in and move stuff around. I was watching Avatar the other day and thought, "Axolotls look like aliens that belong on the planet Pandora... That's how I'm setting my tank up!!" :p I'm a nerd... Hence, the weird coloured plants...

Attachments

• DSCF0823.jpg
    DSCF0823.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,030
Thanks Lindsay :)
Your tank is awesome too - the anemones are great! Where do you get them from? Love the avatar inspired theme

Everyone's tanks look so beautiful :)

Believe it or not, Wal-Mart was where I got the anemones. And they're soft and rubbery! I thought Motley might like lounging on them. Added bonus... they glow in the dark! I went super-nerd and got several glow-in-the-dark plants, so at night it'll actually glow a bit like Pandora... :rolleyes:

Here's mine I recon Easter Island Head's are the way forwards.

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,794
  • Tank 3.jpg
    Tank 3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Tank 6.jpg
    Tank 6.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,253
Believe it or not, Wal-Mart was where I got the anemones. And they're soft and rubbery! I thought Motley might like lounging on them. Added bonus... they glow in the dark! I went super-nerd and got several glow-in-the-dark plants, so at night it'll actually glow a bit like Pandora... :rolleyes:

Okay, they glow in the dark - that just makes them exponentially cool!

Awesome tanks! Here's mine when it was first set up about 3 weeks ago...

0528010230b.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back