• Total voters

seagull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alex
Ik some people do and some dont
i just clean out my axie tanks once every 4-6 weeks depending on how quickly they foul the water
i dont use a filter
im hoping the poll works

Cleaning your tank every 4-6 weeks is not sufficient. A filter is always needed in a aquarium unless you have it packed full of live plants or you do large water changes more than once a week. The latter is going to be more stressful though.

Cleaning your tank every 4-6 weeks is not sufficient. A filter is always needed in a aquarium unless you have it packed full of live plants or you do large water changes more than once a week. The latter is going to be more stressful though.

i used to have live plants but they all died and burrito ate the moss and got diahrea so i removed it
i just cleaned the tanks today and the water wasnt terrible but i will do water changes more often

Ive got 3 axies in a 20 gallon long and I run a small canister filter, a sponge filter, and a aquaclear 30 on mine and its just barely able to keep up with the waste
running no filter on an axolotl tank is a bad idea

You seen to think that the color of the water or amount of poop in the water is a key to knowing the quality of the water, it's not. Have you tested the water parameters? Is the tank cycled?

i do think that and i dont know wat cycling is
ive had burrito for 2 and a half years without issues so im assuming im doing something right but i am open to a lesson on better water quality practices

Time to start reading up on "the cycle". :happy: Here is a quick overview.

Water chemistry is interesting.

Ammonia (produced by axolotls and decaying organic matter) is toxic, but the toxicity is dependent on water pH. High pH = ammonia more toxic. I suspect you have low pH.

Bacteria that eat ammonia will colonize the surfaces of your aquarium and decorations, etc. It takes a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, these bacteria eat the ammonia and then produce nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic.

Bacteria that eat nitrite will also colonize the aquarium, and it also takes a couple more weeks. They produce nitrate, which is less toxic. Too much nitrate will stress your axolotl, and is associated with fungus outbreaks.

The nitrate is removed by water changes. It is also removed by plants, but that doesn't eliminate water changes.

This growth of good bacteria is called "the cycle", and if they die for whatever reason, they say "the cycle crashed."

If you started with a large tank and a very small axolotl, your tank may have cycled without a huge ammonia or nitrite spike, but that is not typical.

Filters provide much more surface area for good bacteria to grow on and a steady flow of water to the bacteria. Some people can keep aquariums without any filter, but it is risky.

Reactions: sde
Time to start reading up on "the cycle". :happy: Here is a quick overview.

Water chemistry is interesting.

Ammonia (produced by axolotls and decaying organic matter) is toxic, but the toxicity is dependent on water pH. High pH = ammonia more toxic. I suspect you have low pH.

Bacteria that eat ammonia will colonize the surfaces of your aquarium and decorations, etc. It takes a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, these bacteria eat the ammonia and then produce nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic.

Bacteria that eat nitrite will also colonize the aquarium, and it also takes a couple more weeks. They produce nitrate, which is less toxic. Too much nitrate will stress your axolotl, and is associated with fungus outbreaks.

The nitrate is removed by water changes. It is also removed by plants, but that doesn't eliminate water changes.

This growth of good bacteria is called "the cycle", and if they die for whatever reason, they say "the cycle crashed."

If you started with a large tank and a very small axolotl, your tank may have cycled without a huge ammonia or nitrite spike, but that is not typical.

Filters provide much more surface area for good bacteria to grow on and a steady flow of water to the bacteria. Some people can keep aquariums without any filter, but it is risky.
basically my axie tanks r ticking time bombs?
i am not trying to be negligent-i just have found them to do fine in present conditions
i would need to move the tanks to properly set up a filtration system

No, your tanks are not ticking time bombs. I hope. :happy:

Get a master test kit (one that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH - not the "strips" - get the kit with the bottles of chemicals) and start tracking your conditions. Read the instructions carefully - some tests have to sit for a certain period of time, some chemicals have to be shaken a certain amount of time, etc. It may be that you have enough surface area for bacteria that you aren't seeing any ammonia or nitrites. In that case, you may be one of the few that can get away without a filter.

Nitrates, however, build up. The test kit will help you know if you are changing water often enough. Chances are, you aren't, and the nitrate levels may be weakening your axolotl, so that it is more likely to get sick in the future. But that is an easy fix - just change water more often.

Why would you need to move the tank for a filter? Is it not near an electric outlet?

could the water quality be fading their color?
i wonder if the fact that i hardly ever feed burrito when she isnt breeding (shes a mature axie who can go a long time without food- i feed her every 10-12 days unless shes in reproductive mode) is allowing nitrates to build up slowly enough for burrito to adapt to it?
i may have a test kit but its old
i shall get a new one
and its near an already loaded outlet
i might just be able to get away with not needing a filter
we will see

I would only recommend feeding her that little if the tank is quite cold and/or you feed a ton at each feeding. Some people actually feed there axolotls as much as every other day. Personally, I think twice a week is suffice.
EDIT: Here is a care sheet for Axolotls. http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml -Seth

i think a whole male dubia is plenty each feeding
i have heard and read that animals fed less food live longer
i dont starve my animals though-they eat better than me for the most part
theres a difference between bear minimum yet enough and simply not feeding enough

Yes, a filter on an axolotl tank is an absolute must. Sponge filters are great for axolotl tanks because they offer a large area for good bacteria to colonize, and they disturb the water very little.

I have a sponge filter rated for a 50g in my axolotl's 20 long, full of plants with weekly 60 to 50 % water changes with all the rest of my tanks.

i think a whole male dubia is plenty each feeding

i have heard and read that animals fed less food live longer

i dont starve my animals though-they eat better than me for the most part

theres a difference between bear minimum yet enough and simply not feeding enough

I'm curious on how fat this Axolotl is, feeding one dubia for like every 2 weeks doesn't sound very healthy, and I believe a healthy axolotls body should be as wide as its head ideally, I don't know how good they are nutritionally either but I don't imagine they're as nutritional as regular earthworm or nightcrawler, if they were, I would imagine they would be just as recommended as worms are

I'm curious on how fat this Axolotl is, feeding one dubia for like every 2 weeks doesn't sound very healthy, and I believe a healthy axolotls body should be as wide as its head ideally, I don't know how good they are nutritionally either but I don't imagine they're as nutritional as regular earthworm or nightcrawler, if they were, I would imagine they would be just as recommended as worms are

Well, American roaches aren't as good nutritionally as nigh crawlers or earthworms. I would think there is very little difference between dubia roaches and American roaches. Thus, I would say they are worse nutritionally.

This is off-topic-
I don't mean to sound rude or nagging, but please put capital letters and use full words, not "r" and "u", as well as correct use of punctuation. It makes it much easier to read and a lot of people on this site do not have English as their first language, it makes it hard for them to understand. Please read the forums rules.

here she is
1421507983554.jpg

I've had my Lotls for going on 5 years now, well Puckles for 5 and Brent for about 2, and I have never used a filter because they got stressed out due to moving water. I have the intention of purchasing a sponge filter, but I do water changes every 4-6 weeks but I never see any waste, nor is there any algae buildup and the water doesn't get unclear or filthy.
I know I might get a lot of flack and "test your water levels, your Axies are probably unhealthy" blah blah blah.
But my babies just mated and they are always active and happy. I haven't seen them with wavy tails or any stress or illness related behavior since Puckles ate gravel when I FIRST got her and was learning the ins and outs.
This is the way I see it- they do fine in the wild without a filter... a little dirt never hurt ANYONE

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back