Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Couple questions about blue spotted salamanders?

Scorpion

Reaction score
How many gallons of space do you need per salamander for blue spotted salamanders?

Also, I read somewhere that blue spotted salamanders can be quite outgoing, even sofar as to beg for food, similar to tiger salamanders. How do you bring that out in them?

Reaction score
I've been keeping 3 for about a year now in a tank that I'd describe as a "15 gallon long" (it's sort of an antique-ish, odd-sized tank), and that seems to be enough room for them.

Also, blue-spots climb really well, so be sure to have a tight-fitting lid!

They also don't swim very well and can drown if the water is too deep or if they isn't a way for them to crawl out of the water easily. With a moist substrate, they don't really need any kind of pool/water at all.

Mine don't beg for food, but I can see how they might. They're not really bothered when I lift their hide and drop some food in front of them. For the first couple of weeks I had them, though, I tried to bother them as little as possible when I fed them (I didn't lift their hides, etc.--just dropped the food items in front of their hides).

I hope that helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!