The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 11th January 2011   #1
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Blue Spotted Salamander defense pose

Here's a video I took of a Blue Spotted Salamander in a defense phase. It was mid fall and there were still salamanders out. I found this little guy under a log and it instantly went into defense mode. Most of the time when I find A. laterale they don't ever perform a defense stance. This guy automatically started waving its tail. After a couple minutes it was set free.

YouTube - Michigan Herping Blue Spotted Salamander Defensive

Old 11th January 2011   #2
Rob M.
(RobM)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: RobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Blue Spotted Salamander defense pose

Nice video, did you not want to provide confirmation about the taste? :-p

RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011   #3
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Really interesting to see. Thanks for posting.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011   #4
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice! Is the purpose of this to draw attention to the tail so that predators go for that rather than the head?

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011   #5
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I bet it is, Chris. Similar behaviours can be found in other creatures. Itīs certainly better to be bitten in the tail than in the head xD Specially if you are a salamander with special regenration superpowers :P

Thanx for sharing! I hope the little guy wasnīt too upset.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011   #6
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This is awesome! I remember seeing Linus my full grown Tiger sal doing this one day, and it caught me off guard. I was like ...what are you doing?! 0__0

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011   #7
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I've seen my full grown Tiger Salamander do a the same thing. I think I have the video of it as well. It was a bit more extreme though. My Tiger Salamander did the whole vertical tail fanning and it was secreting a white gluey substance. Vertical tail fanning and gluey secretion at the same time. Mole salamanders impress me, I love them!

Old 11th January 2011   #8
John Schwarzkopf
(beefsteak)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: beefsteak has started on the right path

I think they also do this to keep from getting stepped on by cows, horses, and other larger creatures. Maybe?

beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011   #9
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
I think they also do this to keep from getting stepped on by cows, horses, and other larger creatures. Maybe?
Well Ambystomids mostly only crawl around in the rain at night or when its really damp. The only reason they might come into contact with cows is during a mating migration in spring. I really think that the vertical tail fanning is distraction meant for natural predators that cohabits their habitat. Animals like snakes, frogs, toads, and ect. Those animals there can easily be distracted my motion. Not to mention the fact that most those animals just mentioned are triggered by motions that look like wriggling worms or something swimming.

I think farm animals would still graze and proceed forward if they saw a small salamander waving its tail.

Old 1st April 2012   #10
Caudae

Nationality:
Rep: Caudae has started on the right path

How odd! Could be useful when the salamander comes into the sight of a bird. I think the bird would be more apt to eating a 'wiggly worm' than a secreting smelly oozy lizard thingy! =)

Caudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012   #11
MorganLCFowler

Nationality:
Rep: MorganLCFowler is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! This was simply amazing. Thank you so much for the opportunity to see this. Salamanders are very scarce in the wild where I live. So jealous.

MorganLCFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012   #12
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganLCFowler View Post
WOW! This was simply amazing. Thank you so much for the opportunity to see this. Salamanders are very scarce in the wild where I live. So jealous.
Nothing like the unken reflex. With Blue Spotted Salamanders they're very prone to perform it.

Old 20th October 2017   #13
bhill368

Nationality:
Rep: bhill368 has shown reliable knowledge

I see this all the time when I go out looking for them. It is pretty amazing! Tails never fails!

bhill368 is offline   Reply With Quote