Hello from the frozen tundra of Minnesota!!!

Sheep2k19

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I was just added today and I can’t wait to see all the knowledge that will come from this site. I have never kept a newt or salamander or even seen one in the wild (I live in the prairie and they aren’t common where I’m from). Any way I just can’t wait to maybe get my first sal, I have a 12 gallon tote that I might use this summer for a sal. I really like red backs, marbleds and tigers, but have a soft spot for the common or central newt

Greetings, I live in Minnesota too. Minnesota is not a particularly salamander-rich state; we only have eight species. I take it that you are in the western part of the state. Depending on your area, you may have Tiger salamanders (western and/or eastern) and possibly mudpuppies. Some spots out there seem completely devoid of sallys.
There are central newts in Minnesota, but they are uncommon and difficult to find.

Greetings, I live in Minnesota too. Minnesota is not a particularly salamander-rich state; we only have eight species. I take it that you are in the western part of the state. Depending on your area, you may have Tiger salamanders (western and/or eastern) and possibly mudpuppies. Some spots out there seem completely devoid of sallys.
There are central newts in Minnesota, but they are uncommon and difficult to find.

Man, I might just have to buy some at the MN reptile expo in April. I’m leaning toward blue spotted or marbles for the tote and maybe some red backs for the 5 gallon?

Welcome! I'm a fellow Minnesotan living in the Twin Cities. There usually are some salamanders and newts occasionally available from local hobbyists in Minnesota.

Good luck!

Greetings also from the great state of Minnesota! Skol Vikings! I breed newts here in the Twin Cities. My small business is called Triton Newts. I am often (but not everytime) selling them at either the Cold Blooded Expo at the DoubleTree in Bloomington; and I'll always be at the Wings, Scales and Tails Pet expos in Hastings, MN. My animals are usually available at Twin Cities Reptiles, one of the best reptile shops in the US. I will occasionally have a few salamanders for sale as well. Welcome to the Forum!

Bradley Wilson
Triton Newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back