Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you make a bare bottom tank look good?

Aesyir

Reaction score
Hello i'm wondering if you guys know any tricks to make bottomless tanks look better. I was going to use sand at one point but I still don't think that's a great idea. when I used to keep bearded dragons I was always told sand would scratch up their internals so I would think this would be the same for my newts. This might be crazy but would it be possible to just put one of those 3d aquarium backgrounds and put it on the bottom? This tank will just have elodia so no need to hoist the plants down. I'm willing to take any other ideas thank you for your time!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most people that don't want to see a bare bottomed tank use sand without any ill effects to their salamanders, but you can also use large slate or ceramic tiles glued to the bottom with silicone sealer to prevent dirt build up underneath. I guess you could do the same with an aquarium background if you wanted.
Another substrate I like the look of is dead leaves, I collect beech and oak leaves in the autumn and dry them out completely, then I just drop them in my tanks when needed. They look natural and my newts spend hours prowling around underneath them looking for things to eat!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just going to say the same thing; decorative tiles on the bottom of the tank. OR, you can get a nice picture and tape it to the underside (dry side) of the tank, the way people do with the back of tanks.

Jensino

Reaction score
I have seen goldfish keepers in japan that let algae grow on the bare bottoms. It looks very natural and the algae growth reduces water pollution. To do so, i have been told, that they put their aquariums into direct sunlight on a balcony or into the garden and fill it with half an inch of pond-water. A few weeks later the glass is covered with different types of algae.
I really have to try this method next summer, cause it looks so great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCN4PDyXkY
Obviously not a goldfish-tank, but a good impression, what an algae-carpet looks like.

Aesyir

Reaction score
That's algae?! It looks like moss, that's a super cool idea I might try this. The only issue is I don't feel comfortable using water from local bodies of water... to make maters worse my area is notorious for having poor water quality in local bodies of water.

MnGuy

Reaction score
I use sand with my newts and have had no issues.

I also like the use and look of leaf matter. I always throw in a few leaves. I'd love to use a whole bunch, but I have short ground covering aquatic plants that can get smothered by leaves. Good luck.

Jensino

Reaction score
I use sand with my newts and have had no issues.

Most european keepers (me included) use a thin layer of sand as well with no problems at all. Leaves are also a great material, because newts like to hide under them and most leaves tend to acidify the water, which reduces the germ load and has an antibacterial effect. But I don't like that the tannins color the water brown, but that's just a personal preference. Can someone recommend leaves that do not dye the water?

That's algae?! It looks like moss, that's a super cool idea I might try this. The only issue is I don't feel comfortable using water from local bodies of water... to make maters worse my area is notorious for having poor water quality in local bodies of water.

You only use the pond water for the initial starting process, later on you can use high quality water as usual.
I want to share a few additional pictures of algae carpets in goldfish aquariums:

Attachments

• Forum resized.jpg
    Forum resized.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,942
  • Algae carpet and goldfish.jpg
    Algae carpet and goldfish.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,733
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1