The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

FS: USA For US Caudata.org users wishing to sell/give away/trade within the US.

Old 26th January 2018   #1
IWishIWasAFish

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: IWishIWasAFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free axolotl eggs near Seattle, WA

My happy confidence in having a pair of males has been shattered by a slew of eggs. ;-)

It's our classroom aquarium, and I'm just recovering from a concussion from being rear-ended, working only half-time and unable to cope with the egg rearing.

Parents are a wild-type and what looks like a leucistic to me. Total cuties. Sound of body and healthy. "Mom" has a charming habit of lurking up in the plants. Both about 8'' long I think. I think mom is the leucistic, since I was assured by a breeder that the wild-type was a male, but I raised the other from a small baby and thus had little clue. They should be unrelated, as mom was a second-generation of a local Seattle area teacher (possible inbreeding there, I have no idea) and dad was from Mike at WesternAxolotl.com.

Looks like close to 100 eggs to me. A few look like they aren't developing, but the rest look several days old - the embryos already are strung out into head end and long end. We may try to raise up to 6, but the rest are an overwhelming proposition.

The embryos look pale. Previously I've attempted to raise a little batch of embryos I was given, and gotten close to success. I had both wild-type and white embryos, and they were actually different colors. These embryos look pale, not colored dark like the wild-type ones. Fascinating. I would have thought the dark color would be dominant.

Oh, and I do have half a clue that this will now be a continuing problem. ;-) I'd welcome a local trade of my wild-type male for a dark colored female of any type, not more than about 9" long. We love our leucistic girl too much to part with her. Maybe she needs to live alone, but I actually get the impression they enjoy each other's company. A little too much enjoyment I guess. LOL!

Anyhow, I am not able to drive due to the concussion, nor enthusiastic about a packaging experience, but if you're within reach of me and want the eggs just drop me a note. If I get no locals, I can probably get a class parent to mail them somewhere if you give detailed instructions on how to package them and what to say at the post office so they don't refuse to ship. I have photos of the eggs and mom (dad is not very visible over black sand amid a tangle of plants) but am too tired to fight the computer for how to post them here. Happy to email them to you.

IWishIWasAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2018   #2
IWishIWasAFish

Nationality:
Rep: IWishIWasAFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free axolotl eggs near Seattle, WA

Update:
They aren't eggs anymore. ;-) When I came in to school yesterday (Monday) they'd already hatched, so we must have missed seeing them for a long time in the tank! We do have rather a lot of pond weeds so I guess it's understandable. We have trekked down to the local pond for some daphnia & other copepods for food and the kids count about 30 of the hatchlings still alive after 30 hours, so things are looking positive.

IWishIWasAFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018   #3
Deborah Haney
(bruiser1)

Nationality:
Rep: bruiser1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free axolotl eggs near Seattle, WA

Do you still need someone to take them off your hands? I'm near Seattle.

bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl eggs