The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 3rd February 2018   #1
cayleesl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cayleesl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thrashing around, not eating, red veins all over body.

My axolotl seems very sick. About 5 days ago I was doing a water change on my tank and when I put him back in, his gills started twitching and he started darting around trying to jump out of the water, thrashing around and banging his head on the glass. It looked like seizures. I took him out of the tank and got him new water and put him in a smaller container (temp is kept 66-68 degrees). He seemed to calm down a lot. His gills had immediately started to curl away from his head and lay down flat against his back. After a few days in there I decided he needed to stay out of his tank longer so I got a bigger container yesterday from the store and after rinsing it out and acclimating him, I put him in and the thrashing and seizures started again. Even biting his tail. Tonight I checked on him and he's still biting at his tail but now he has bright red veins all over him and is refusing food. Today is the only day he's refused food completely, he's not even lifting his head at it. I can't see any fungus on him so I have no clue what this is. Please help! Ps. I have always conditioned his water and it is kept below 70 always.

cayleesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018   #2
DSaxolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DSaxolotl has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Thrashing around, not eating, red veins all over body.

Hello,

It seems that something might changed from normal with that water change.

Lets try this:
What are your tank
PH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Temp

What is your tap water PH ? Do you treat your water with dehlorinators like API Prime ?

Having big swings in PH and water parameters and or maybe even chlor in the tap water might be just some of the causes for the gills. But the tail biting seems very odd maybe a visit to the vet office will help you more

DSaxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote