The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KingSloth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default T. torosa advice

I have one California Newt and I was wondering if I was doing everything correctly in terms of care.

I feed him pinhead crickets a couple times a week, and I might start feeding him small earthworms that I found. I don't want to feed black worms, because they are so high maintenence.

I have him in a ten gallon currently, with fake sphagnum moss as a substrate. I might change that. Let me know what substrate(s) work(s) best.

He also has a pool and a couple logs that he can go under. In addition, there is a food dish that I will use for worms. He also has a couple small river rocks. I found him under one of them once.

I dust his crickets in calcium and take off their jumping legs. SHould I dust the earthworms in calcium?

That's all I do for him currently!

Please, ANY advice, critique, and tips are more than welcome.

Also, when will he get bigger? He doesn't seem to be growing that much.

For pics, please visit :

KingSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Field Herper
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Red face Re: T. torosa advice

Welcome to the world of Taricha!

For feeding, I recommend chopped European nightcrawlers (earthworms). Crickets are fine as well, but worms are ideal. A good mix of both works fine.

My suggestion is to buy some nightcrawlers and culture them yourself, it's pretty easy! You can get a steady supply this way.

Now I'm biased because I love live moss and hate fake moss, but I suggest switching the substrate.

I keep Taricha and they actually prefer it quite dry compared to other terrestrial caudates. Too much of soil moisture could give them skin problems in the future. I suggest using a mix of clay soil, forest soil, and (oak) leaf litter. It should be somewhat moist but not wet.

Since you live in California, I bet you could find oak leaf litter fairly easily.

As for moss, real sphagnum won't do well in a dry tank. I suggest using native CA mosses that go through dry and wet cycles. This way, you can spray the tank to mimic rain for both the mosses and the newts.

As for getting will take a LONG time. Like...a lonnnggggggg time.

Taricha have great personality, so I hope you enjoy yours for years to come!

0.0.2 Dendrobates auratus 'El Cope', 0.0.4 Taricha, 1.1.0 Salamandra salamandra, 0.0.2 Ambystoma opacum, 0.2.0 Desmognathus fuscus, 1.0.0 Litoria caerulea, 0.0.2 Hymenochirus boettgeri & Field Herper
AdvythAF is offline   Reply With Quote