The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 27th February 2018   #1
Raella

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Raella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Live/Bioactive substrate?

Is this something I could do for my Tiger Salamander? I currently use something I need to add water to that I buy at Petco that seems to work well, but I like the idea of his/her waste being absorbed by the system rather than just accumulating over time.

Is there anything I should read up on before trying this? Not sure what Iím doing really as Iím new to terrariums.

Old 1st March 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Live/Bioactive substrate?

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You could try adding small animals that eat waste?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018   #3
Raella

Nationality:
Rep: Raella is an unknown quantity at this point

Thatís basically what Iím talking about. What animals would that be?

Old 1st March 2018   #4
Nativenewt

Nationality:
Rep: Nativenewt is an unknown quantity at this point

You could have a substrate with leaves and aquatic isopods which the salamander will eat and they will act as a cleaner crew.

Nativenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018   #5
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If you mean bioactive substrate for a terrestrial substrate just add isopods and maybe some springtails.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018   #6
Holdenon5

Nationality:
Rep: Holdenon5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Springtails and isopods are good for eating decaying matter and controlling mold growth in the terrarium. I personally use springtails in with my giant centipedes and never have mold issues

Holdenon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018   #7
sheweldz

Nationality:
Rep: sheweldz is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I put isopods I find in the yard in my tiger salamander tank or is it best to buy them.

sheweldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018   #8
JM29

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Hello,

From my experience and some of my friends' :

- for terrestrial big-sized caudates (tiger salamander for example) : you may regularly add some dead leaves (preferably oak) above the substrate. The targeted effect is maintainig a high Carbon/Nitrogen ratio. Isopods and springtails can help to get rid of waste but they need a Carbon source, just like bacteria.

- for terrestrial small-sized caudates (small Plethodon species for example) : the substrate must provide some of the food for the caudates. One good solution is a mix 3/4 oak / 1/4 maple, in which springtails and isopods thrive well. One may take a stock of maple leaves in autumn because maple leaves disappear very fast in nature.

In these two cases, the first little animals (worms, springtails, isopods...) can be added with a rich substrate (garden compost for example) in the bottom of the tank.

- for aquatic caudates : adding some dead oak leaves in the water help managing nitrate levels (adding a Carbon source once again).

Of course, avoid surpopulating the tank.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote