The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 5th March 2018   #1
23matt3

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: 23matt3 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Tips on raising Cynops Orientalis Efts?

Hey guys!

I will be getting 5 Cynops Orentails efts tomorrow. I've read over all the care guides, I am just looking too see if anyone has done this personally with success and check out their setups.

On the care guide I also noticed there are various ways to have a setup (Terrestrial with soil, Terrestrial with paper towels) I have even seen the full aquatic setup to where they load the tank with plants and have about a 1 inch of water. I have a 5 gallon aquarium setup and ready to go for them. I am just looking to see which setup is the best. I was half tempted to do the full aquatic setup because that will jump start the aquatic process but the person I am getting them from raised them fully terrestrial and they are only eating fruit flies with a vitamin dusted on at the moment. I am just worried about changing their whole way of life and they either starve or die.

Please comment or PM me any tips or suggestions on a good setup! I'm just seeing a lot of options and want to make sure I have the best setup for them. I am getting overwhelmed haha If you have any other tips or tricks on raising them successfully let me know!

Thanks in advance!

23matt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018   #2
23matt3

Nationality:
Default Re: Tips on raising Cymops Orentalis Efts?

Forgot to add but they are about a year old

Old 6th March 2018   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Tips on raising Cymops Orentalis Efts?

The easiest way I've found for raising terrestrial Cynops is a simple set up with damp kitchen towel substrate and a hide. I normally feed chopped small earthworms and live bloodworm and clean the container/change the substrate every two days or so.
It might be worth seeing if they will take to an weedy, shallow aquatic setup, at a year old they should be ready soon.
Good luck with them! :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018   #4
23matt3

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 7th March 2018   #5
23matt3

Nationality:

Chinadog, thanks. This is the setup I decided to use! Substrate on one side and water at about half inch on the other. Covered in java moss, anarchis, water lettuce and a rock, just to prevent the risk of drowning while encouraging aquatic behavior

Old 8th March 2018   #6
23matt3

Nationality:

Click the image to open in full size.

One of 5 little guys to keep my hands full!! Lol

Going to attempt to feed them dusted fruit flies tonight. Any tips?

Wish me luck!!