Axolotl won't eat!!

Toy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased 3 (about 4 inch) axolotls. Right now they are separated in containers. However the albino will not eat. I've tried frozen blood worms, daphnia, live black worms, cut up red wigglers. I change and treat the water twice a day. The golden albino and wild type eat just fine. Any suggestions? I'm very concerned.

I recently purchased 3 (about 4 inch) axolotls. Right now they are separated in containers. However the albino will not eat. I've tried frozen blood worms, daphnia, live black worms, cut up red wigglers. I change and treat the water twice a day. The golden albino and wild type eat just fine. Any suggestions? I'm very concerned.

We’re you able to I get him eating? I just got my first axolotl 3 days ago and he’s not really eating so wondering how’s this resolved for you. Thanks!

You are hand feeing them/dangling food with forceps near their mouth right?

I am handfeeding mine bloodworms. The first day he ate some, yesterday less and today none. Ammonia was at .25, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. I did a 50% water change and used Prime. Tank temp is 20c / 68f

That's a little odd. The temperature seems good, and what's weird is your water readings. For a cycled tank, usually there's 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and only nitrates. And even for a nearly cycled tank, there should be 0 ammonia, some nitrites, and little nitrates. I'm wondering what you meant by Prime, however. Is it the Seachem prime or do you mean cycle bacteria prime?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back