Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Very sick axie, almost dead

NexSocius

Reaction score
Background info: I bought a pair of adult axies from my lfs 3 days ago, and have had them tubbed separately for quarantine. I have been changing the water daily since I got them (I have had my other pair for 4-5 years now).
Caprica has been active up until now, last night it looked like she was trying to swim up to the top of the tub ans was poking her nose out, and this morning she was floating around and swimming ok.
About an hour later, she’s stone still in the bottom of the tub, looking very red for her colour, and won’t move. I changed her water, she didn’t argue with me, I even picked her up and no help.
I noticed what looks like fungus, so gave her a salt bath. Still no movement, her back legs are locked in a set position.

I now have her in the fridge, I believe it could be a bacterial infection, and need to act quickly. I’m just worried I’m too late! It is possible that having her in a tub has stressed her after being in a tank at the store, but I’ve never had this issue before.

The other axi I got is still swimming around happily.
While I wait for responses, I’ll be sourcing the antibiotics listed in another thread (bacterial infection that starts with C).
Thanks, very worried rightt now!

Attachments

• 0E2EF546-7FB8-4ABB-9DE1-07033950C504.jpg
    0E2EF546-7FB8-4ABB-9DE1-07033950C504.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 1AE00831-8282-4A11-A1A0-21C1A1D5AEE4.jpg
    1AE00831-8282-4A11-A1A0-21C1A1D5AEE4.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 703BFC89-A9C8-45F4-91EE-761B3CD71AFD.jpg
    703BFC89-A9C8-45F4-91EE-761B3CD71AFD.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 97

JM29

Reaction score
Hi !

This short story is a good illustration of how useful is quarantine.

I have a female axie which had similar symptoms 2 years ago. I put her in a big tub outdoors, under a tree to get shade, and she recovered within a month. She just layed eggs 2 weeks ago.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Okay some details are needed. What are your water parameters and tank temp?
Is she moving at all? Being in the fridge will make them lethargic, so it's normal for them to not move too much when they are in there. I would see if you can put her in temporary housing with a fan to keep the temp around 16 degrees.

NexSocius

Reaction score
She wasn't in a tank, she was tubbed as I was quarantining her and the other before adding them to the tank with my other two.
When I added her to the tubs, I gradually added fresh dechlorinated water so as to not shock her. Been changing her water each day (today is the 3rd or 4th day).
The tub water was around 16-18c.
This morning around 10am, she was floating and seemed ok. She hasn't pooped since I got her, and she did eat the second day. When husband left for work at 12:45, that's when I noticed she was in the bottom corner with her legs like in the pic, not moving or responding,
As soon as I noticed, I immediately changed the water, she still didn't move. I did some research on here, her symptoms have presented as possible columnaria infection- two of her gills looked like fungus, but different, if that makes sense. Also it looked like little tiny sores on her feet (I hadn't seen these til this happened).
I gave her a salt bath and fridged her as per the instructions, but I don't have Furon or KanaPlex until tomorrow.
So she is currently in the fridge at 5 dec c, still hasn't moved and I fear that it's too late, she may already be dead (I honestly can't tell, I've never lost one).

She did show slight signs of stress last night - I was in the room with her and had the light on, and her tub was uncovered for a bit. She seemed ok when I turned the light off.
I didn't check the parameters before I changed the water, I was in a bit of a panic and just didn't think.

The other axi (who was originally in the tank at the pet shop with her) is fine in her tub and is being a little piggy with the blood worms.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you have light on in the room keep a towel or something over her so she stays in the dark.
You were doing everything right, with the quarantine etc. I've thankfully never had to use any antibiotics or anything with my axolotls (other than salt baths) so I can't give you any advice with that.
When they pass their gills will shrink up and they will start to bloat. Mouths are usually slightly open.
Also she is a beautiful colour, where did you get her from?
Goodluck, I hope she pulls through. Keep us updated

NexSocius

Reaction score
Here is an updated pic, she’s been in the fridge for around 24 hours, at around 5c. She hasn’t bloated, her gills look the same, but she still hasn’t moved, nor even flicked her gills. Poor bubba, do you think she’s dead or just clinging on?

The other pic is the pair just before I bought them on Thursday, just for comparison. I got them from City Aquarium in Blacktown NSW

Attachments

• 41854220-CA26-4820-AA19-3DF654492CE7.jpg
    41854220-CA26-4820-AA19-3DF654492CE7.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 100
  • A70E162C-2961-43C4-AFC7-0FA477FAA921.jpg
    A70E162C-2961-43C4-AFC7-0FA477FAA921.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 91

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'm surprised I haven't been to that store, I live close to there and thought I had been to every aquarium haha She looks super similar to one I saw in Penrith, where I got my boy from.
In my experience they deteriorate pretty quickly after passing so she seems to still be holding on. Does she respond at all if you were to touch her? They also start to feel stiff once they have passed, see if you can move her tail at all.

NexSocius

Reaction score
Still no change in her condition, and still no clear signs of death. It’s like she’s in a coma, I don’t know :/
As it turns out, KanaPlex and Furon-2 are illegal in Australia. The guys from the aquarium were so helpful, they even tried googling for different alternatives.
In the end, I just bought some Melafix to try.

I included the store’s info, they have the best water testing station I’ve ever seen!

The guy also offered to replace her if she does die, which was nice of him.

Thanks for all your help, if there is any change I’ll post an update.

Attachments

• 51014BD4-772C-4A59-9A2F-570534CBFF09.png
    51014BD4-772C-4A59-9A2F-570534CBFF09.png
    380.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 05AF72B2-ECA6-425D-90B4-E14D35FB0752.jpg
    05AF72B2-ECA6-425D-90B4-E14D35FB0752.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 85

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I’m almost wondering if she has passed and if the low temperature is stagnating the process of decay. The bloating is from internal bacteria breaking down tissue and producing gas and fluid, and the cold temperature could be stopping that. Also I have had very limited success in treating with melafix. It’s mostly herbal and has very little impact on internal infections, at least in my experiences with it. Have you taken her to a vet? If you can confirm she is still alive, a trip to the vet might give you some answers, and possibly a prescription antibiotic for amphibians from the vet.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I’m almost wondering if she has passed and if the low temperature is stagnating the process of decay. The bloating is from internal bacteria breaking down tissue and producing gas and fluid, and the cold temperature could be stopping that. Also I have had very limited success in treating with melafix. It’s mostly herbal and has very little impact on internal infections, at least in my experiences with it. Have you taken her to a vet? If you can confirm she is still alive, a trip to the vet might give you some answers, and possibly a prescription antibiotic for amphibians from the vet.

I agree, a vet may be able to help. I haven't had to use one for axolotls so I don't have any local recommendations, but google and call around to see if anyone has experience with them.
If her gills aren't occasionally flickering she may have already passed, I really hope not :(
Also I thought I might add that her issue could be genetics. Pet stores often don't carry super healthy stock (in my experience), which is why a lot of people go straight to breeders. It seems like you were doing everything right so it could be something out of your control.

NexSocius

Reaction score
I looked up an exotic vet in North Sydney, it would take me almost 2 hours to get there via public transport, and *if* she's alive, it would probably finish her off. They don't offer skype video consultations, so that's a bummer.

Deep down, I think she has passed. I will give her one last salt bath and a dose of melafix tonight, if no changes by morning, I'll concede defeat.

I did post a question on a facebook group before I bought her, I had noticed she was a slightly reddish colour. Everyone just agreed that she was red from swimming around. So maybe she was already sick.

Poor little bugger :(

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Is she red? I had assumed she was just a copper morph. I don’t see any red veins on the legs or body, which is usually an indication of redleg. But in that last photo you sent of her, I noticed something bad. It may just be the angle, but it looks like some of the frills on her gills have become brown and clumpy. When my now deceased waterdog Frills developed that, I was told by a local amphibian expert that it was a sign of infection inside the individual that had spread to the gills, and that at that point, there would be no recovery. Hopefully that isn’t the case. You could compare it to a photo I took of Frills shortly before his passing. Keep us infirmary of her condition in the morning!

Attachments

• F76529CD-3282-4E37-A59E-1FDC9665B749.jpg
    F76529CD-3282-4E37-A59E-1FDC9665B749.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 90

NexSocius

Reaction score
When i first saw her she looked like a leucy, but when i got her home she was more copper.
Yes, her gills did go kinda clumpy, but different than in your pic

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I looked up an exotic vet in North Sydney, it would take me almost 2 hours to get there via public transport, and *if* she's alive, it would probably finish her off. They don't offer skype video consultations, so that's a bummer.

Deep down, I think she has passed. I will give her one last salt bath and a dose of melafix tonight, if no changes by morning, I'll concede defeat.

I did post a question on a facebook group before I bought her, I had noticed she was a slightly reddish colour. Everyone just agreed that she was red from swimming around. So maybe she was already sick.

Poor little bugger :(

You could bring her up to 16 degrees and see if she responds, or the body will show signs if she has passed.
I had assumed she was a copper too. Good to know there is one in N. Sydney at least, in case you need one again.

NexSocius

Reaction score
Took her out of the fridge, she's stiff and gills have deteriorated. She's gone :(
I have buried her in our rose pot. Poor girl.
If anyone here is a fan of Battlestar Galactica, they'll know that Caprica isn't gone forever, she'll be back.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Last edited:

NexSocius

Reaction score
Yep they did, I’ve messaged them and will see what they say.

Unfortunately, this has taught me that stress and illness is a very real thing when bringing home new ones. I’m glad I quarantined them and did everything ‘by the book’, it could have gone much worse. I’m so lucky my older two are so resilient and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1