Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long vacation axolotl

Arsey

Reaction score
I will be going to my home country for about three weeks. Tried to go back early, but since i havent meet my family for years, and things sort of happen, it became three weeks.

There are no people at the moment that can help me babysit my axie (just entered adulthood weeks ago), and i need help please.

My plan so far:
-use my kitchen faucet to top off the water when im gone, which ill be testing before i go
-buy an automatic feeder and set it to give about 2-3 pellets a day
-put live feeder fish or shrimp for him to eat just in case

Problem is that, although he can eat pellets, he wont eat it unless i put the pellets infront of him, which im affraid he wont eat from the autofeeder and it will just soil the water. I thought that the feeder shrimp or fish could help eat the uneaten pellets and can be used as live food but, no way of being sure it will work out perfectly.

Is there a way out of this tricky situation? Most of the people living here are students, in which most of my friend will go to vacation even longer than me.

I know i maybe asking for too much, but it will be a bummer is my buddy died

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
There is always a chance someone on here would be able watch it while you are on vacation if any of the users are in your area. And if the feeder is set to drop pellets more infrequently than you normally feed him, there is a chance his hunger will drive him to seek out the pellets.

Arsey

Reaction score
There is always a chance someone on here would be able watch it while you are on vacation if any of the users are in your area. And if the feeder is set to drop pellets more infrequently than you normally feed him, there is a chance his hunger will drive him to seek out the pellets.

Thanks for the advice. The only feeder that can skip day is the f14 feeder, and it only holds 14 space for 14 days (7 days if you use the skip fucntion)

Ill keep looking for a friend that can help

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you thought about a pet boarder? Have a search on the internet. Ask on any community groups as well. Three weeks is in my opinion too long to leave your axolotl home alone. I fear the automatic feeder will cause your water to foul and the dripping faucet is far too risky.
Where are you currently located,maybe some on here may be able to help?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also I'd be concerned about water evaporation. In dry times I notice how my water really goes and the substrates dry out fast too!

Arsey

Reaction score
Im currently living in japan for studies. In addition, i looked for those kind of services which isnt available in my area (my campus is located in the outskirt of town). I heard that axolotl can go about a week without food, but im affraid that feeders wont be enough for him.

If i may ask, how can dripping faucet be risky?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!